Britec Tech Support Forum

Full Version: Low IOPS with Samsung 950 Pro SSD.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Hi all, i am new to this forum and i have some problems i want to solve so hopefully you will have the answers.

This is my setup:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.8 GHz stable.

16 GB G.Skill TridentX 2133 MHz memory.
MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G GPU.
Gigabyte 990 FX Gaming G1 motherboard.
Cooler Master V850 PSU
Corsair H100i with Noctua NF-F12 industrial PPC 3000 RPM fans.
Case is Corsair Obsidion 650D
I have 2 90 mm fans blowing on the VRM's of the motherboard and nothing is getting too hot with this overclock.

I have fresh install of Windows 10 build 10586.104 and i am not very happy with it so far.
I have this motherboard brand new and along with it i bought an Samsung 950 Pro 256 GB because i thought it was much faster than the Samsung 850 Pro i had before this.

The problem is is that when i try to do an SSD benchmark i get very low IOPS than i should get. This happends also with the Samsung 850 Pro but not with the 840 EVO SSD strangely.

These SSD's are rated for over 100K IOPS but i only get around 70K IOPS read and around 65K IOPS write..
I disabled all power saving features in my motherboard BIOS and i maximized Windows 10 for using an SSD but nothing helps.
Now i thought when i have the NVME protocol that should be faster than AHCI but i get the same exact IOPS as with my Sata drive..

I checked on the Internet about this issue and came to a thread on tomshardware wich an post of a guy that had the same system as me and also the same CPU but was getting 100K IOPS with an Sata SSD.. go figure..

I think its my CPU that is dying on me but i cannot say for certain so that's why i thought i will ask here first before i RMA my chip.

Any answer would be much obliged.

Thanks in advance,

Hurricane.
Sorry to hear your having a issue with your super fast m.2 SSD, it seems your not alone.

Remember this is new technology and it could run into issues with different setups. 

Things to try and consider:
  • Firmware Update for Samsung 950 Pro (Could be a known issue and they are fixing it)
  • BIOS Update
  • Motherboard Chipset Update
  • Samsung 950 Pro might not like or preform as well with AMD FX CPU or Chipset
  • Overheating can cause a lot of problems, Samsung 950 Pro uses a lot of power and runs super hot, so make sure your temps are nice and cool and case is free from dust and has plenty of air flow.
  • Another reason could be a bottle neck in the system. Remember you're system is only as fast as the slowest component. (But this does not seem to be the case for you)
  • It seems a lot of people are getting different results from Samsung 950 Pro, this will come down to the technology that is in that computer I would suspect, maybe in time they will release a firmware update to fix these known issues. 
  • I notice you have a big overclock, this could be causing a issue or chip could be failing. (Try stepping it back to stock speed to see if this fix's he issue.
(02-17-2016, 01:09 PM)Britec Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry to hear your having a issue with your super fast m.2 SSD, it seems your not alone.

Remember this is new technology and it could run into issues with different setups. 

Things to try and consider:
  • Firmware Update for Samsung 950 Pro (Could be a known issue and they are fixing it)
  • BIOS Update
  • Motherboard Chipset Update
  • Samsung 950 Pro might not like or preform as well with AMD FX CPU or Chipset
  • Overheating can cause a lot of problems, Samsung 950 Pro uses a lot of power and runs super hot, so make sure your temps are nice and cool and case is free from dust and has plenty of air flow.
  • Another reason could be a bottle neck in the system. Remember you're system is only as fast as the slowest component. (But this does not seem to be the case for you)
  • It seems a lot of people are getting different results from Samsung 950 Pro, this will come down to the technology that is in that computer I would suspect, maybe in time they will release a firmware update to fix these known issues. 
  • I notice you have a big overclock, this could be causing a issue or chip could be failing. (Try stepping it back to stock speed to see if this fix's he issue.

Hello,

Thank you for the fast reply! Much obliged.

The firmware and every driver is up to date ad nothing gets warm at all. Only during stress testing its get a bit warm but not too warm.
I monitor my temps and voltages very carefully with HWINFO64 which is the best program to read AMD FX chips in my opinion.

My system is very clean without any dust because i personally don't like a dirty system and it can hurt performance like you mentioned.

Even the SSD doesn't get hot, they begin throttle down at very high temps which i never see. The highest temp i ever seen was 55c under load which is way below the throttle temp.

If it was true that my CPU can't handle more IOPS how is it possible that it could do that with the Samsung 840 EVO is my question. If i always had this problem from the beginning i wouldn't bother because i knew its the system that is holding back for some reason. I even contacted Samsung about this but they were less than polite about it and i get the impression that they don't like if customers have complaints about their product it seems so i stopped mailing them because i didn't get any further with them.

My overclock is very stable and i tried with stock speeds but i get the same results. Everything is brand new in my PC except the CPU and the GPU which are working fine.
(02-17-2016, 04:31 PM)Britec Wrote: [ -> ]Try disabling PCI Express Active State Power Management (ASPM) in BIOS.

Here are some links to read

https://www.anandtech.com/show/9702/samsung-950-pro-ssd-review-256gb-512gb

https://www.overclock.net/t/1579581/official-samsung-950-pro-owners-club

https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2925819/samsung-950-pro-low-random-read-write-performance.html

Thank you for your advice but i do not have the ASPM in my BIOS.

When i was looking in the windows log files i saw this error that might explain it:

reset to device device raidport0 was issued i seen on the internet that it can caused by faulty drive or connection, since i am using an M.2 connector i assume its the motherboard connector that is bad.

What do you think about this?
Hard to say with looking and testing. There is a chance that its hardware issue. Is any of the hardware under warranty?
(02-18-2016, 01:00 PM)Britec Wrote: [ -> ]Hard to say with looking and testing. There is a chance that its hardware issue. Is any of the hardware under warranty?

Yes i still have warranty on my hardware, what would you suggest to RMA first?

I have my Motherboard and SSD and RAM from the same retailer and i can exchange them whenever i want, they are just awesome.
Yeah maybe take screen shots of your stats your getting and say that your not getting the stated speeds there website says you're getting. 
They will RMA item.
(02-19-2016, 12:11 AM)Britec Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah maybe take screen shots of your stats your getting and say that your not getting the stated speeds there website says you're getting. 
They will RMA item.

I understand, but what part should i RMA? The SSD, Motherboard or CPU?
RMA Samsung 950 Pro SSD first, tell them you will be happy to test another one on the grounds that if you get same result you will want to RMA motherboard.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5