Britec Tech Support Forum

Full Version: should i get a delidded CPU
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
btw should i get a delidded i9 7890 CPU to make sure it last a long time
if you delidded a CPU it will not make it last longer
(03-14-2018, 12:33 AM)Compton Wrote: [ -> ]if you  delidded a CPU it will not make it last longer

they use to put on better paste because Intel put on crappy [aste on their cpu and that black stuff around the cpu which i heard can choked it with heat trapped in it
What is delidding?

Personally I think its a waste of time delidding CPU...why? 
  • Voids your warranty for the CPU.
  • You will only gain a couple of degrees or so in cooling.
  • Youtube tech channels do this because its something new, but remember they don't pay for CPU samples, you do.
  • Instead of delidding buy better CPU cooler and case
  • Delidding CPU adds a risk of irreparable damage to your CPU if done incorrectly 
  • So is there a case for delidding a CPU? Yes if the CPU is suffering from very high temps and you want to try and fix it (But this is very rare)
More information:

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3064-intels-thermal-problem-pt1-liquid-metal-vs-thermal-paste-benchmarks-7900x

(03-14-2018, 01:09 PM)Britec Wrote: [ -> ]What is delidding?

Personally I think its a waste of time delidding CPU...why? 

• Voids your warranty for the CPU.
  • You will only gain a couple of degrees or so in cooling.
  • Youtube tech channels do this because its something new, but remember they don't pay for CPU samples, you do.
  • Instead of delidding buy better CPU cooler and case
  • Delidding CPU adds a risk of irreparable damage to your CPU if done incorrectly 
  • So is there a case for delidding a CPU? Yes if the CPU is suffering from very high temps and you want to try and fix it (But this is very rare)
More information:

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3064-intels-thermal-problem-pt1-liquid-metal-vs-thermal-paste-benchmarks-7900x

in my case i heard the I9 7980xe get hot with TIM
I have heard of people doing this on tech channels. I think it is a waste of time and you are taking a chance of (a) ruining your chip, (b) causing more harm than good. IMO, getting yourself a newer computer is the way to go. Doing stuff like this is like.....putting an old 8 cylinder engine into a car that was meant to run a 4 cylinder. Can't be done without serious modifications, and there is no guarantee it would run right anyway.
(03-15-2018, 01:09 AM)Kevin_Adair Wrote: [ -> ]I have heard of people doing this on tech channels.  I think it is a waste of time and you are taking a chance of (a) ruining your chip, (b) causing more harm than good.  IMO, getting yourself a newer computer is the way to go.  Doing stuff like this is like.....putting an old 8 cylinder engine into a car that was meant to run a 4 cylinder.  Can't be done without serious modifications, and there is no guarantee it would run right anyway.

i stand with the concensus...it's not a smart move. Buying a better cooler (water) will get rid of any temperature problems. No major gains and a very high risk of destroying a very expensive part...
The I9 7980xe is a £2000 CPU, I would leave well alone.