Britec Tech Support Forum

Full Version: Opening my own computer business and need advice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I could really use some sound advice from anyone, not just professionals. I am about 3o days out from opening. I am looking for sound advice on the things listed below. Brain, if you have advice please respond. Me and my sons are all certified in Networking, A+, server, etc...I have a lot involved, but now I am at the point of being frugal and could use help in these areas. I am going to be doing server maint, break n fix, network troubleshooting, email troubleshooting, remote work, computer maint, etc..There is much more, but I will stop there. I am getting ready to star scheduling business appointments with small businesses in my area to try and get into some contracts with them.. I am almost ready to put my office cubicles in, desks, phones, computers, receptionist desks ect. My business name is being approved this week, along with my EIN, bank account ect.... ..Below is what I would love help with. Can anyone help me with:

1. Sever maint templates
2. Break n fix templates
3 best way to bill for remote work
4. The best place to get my employees professional work shirts
5. Sever and computer maint contracts

The above is all contract templates I am looking for. I am protected bc I have insurance, but I am looking for some good contracts templates for all the above. Also, what everyone's opinion on how to make money. Cash, swiping CC, PayPal on my website, etc..I have ideas regarding all this, but many minds are better than just one.

Thanks,

MLS
(04-18-2018, 01:34 AM)mickeymbbc Wrote: [ -> ]I could really use some sound advice from anyone, not just professionals.  I am about 3o days out from opening.  I am looking for sound advice on the things listed below.  Brain, if you have advice please respond.  Me and my sons are all certified in Networking, A+, server, etc...I have a lot involved, but now I am at the point of being frugal and could use help in these areas.  I am going to be doing server maint, break n fix, network troubleshooting, email troubleshooting, remote work, computer maint, etc..There is much more, but I will stop there.  I am getting ready to star scheduling business appointments with small businesses in my area to try and get into some contracts with them..  I am almost ready to put my office cubicles in, desks, phones, computers, receptionist desks ect.  My business name is being approved this week, along with my EIN, bank account ect.... ..Below is what I would love help with.  Can anyone help me with:

1. Sever maint templates
2. Break n fix templates
3  best way to bill for remote work

The above is all contract templates I am looking for.  I am protected bc I have insurance, but I am looking for some good contracts templates for all the above.  Also, what everyone's opinion on how to make money.  Cash, swiping CC, PayPal on my website, etc..I have ideas regarding all this, but many minds are better than just one.  

Thanks,

MLS

First of all, best wishes on your desire to become a computer repair person. I would highly recommend that you visit the https://mikenation.net/ website. He is another professional from the "home brew" club. He can help guide you in your quest to become a computer repair professional. Mike guided me in the ten years I was a computer repair tech. There is no one wiser(with the exception of Brian) in the field of computer tech.
(04-18-2018, 02:29 AM)Kevin_Adair Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-18-2018, 01:34 AM)mickeymbbc Wrote: [ -> ]I could really use some sound advice from anyone, not just professionals.  I am about 3o days out from opening.  I am looking for sound advice on the things listed below.  Brain, if you have advice please respond.  Me and my sons are all certified in Networking, A+, server, etc...I have a lot involved, but now I am at the point of being frugal and could use help in these areas.  I am going to be doing server maint, break n fix, network troubleshooting, email troubleshooting, remote work, computer maint, etc..There is much more, but I will stop there.  I am getting ready to star scheduling business appointments with small businesses in my area to try and get into some contracts with them..  I am almost ready to put my office cubicles in, desks, phones, computers, receptionist desks ect.  My business name is being approved this week, along with my EIN, bank account ect.... ..Below is what I would love help with.  Can anyone help me with:

1. Sever maint templates
2. Break n fix templates
3  best way to bill for remote work

The above is all contract templates I am looking for.  I am protected bc I have insurance, but I am looking for some good contracts templates for all the above.  Also, what everyone's opinion on how to make money.  Cash, swiping CC, PayPal on my website, etc..I have ideas regarding all this, but many minds are better than just one.  

Thanks,

MLS

First of all, best wishes on your desire to become a computer repair person.  I would highly recommend that you visit the https://mikenation.net/ website.  He is another professional from the "home brew" club.  He can help guide you in your quest to become a computer repair professional.  Mike guided me in the ten years I was a computer repair tech.  There is no one wiser(with the exception of Brian) in the field of computer tech.

Thank you. I will check that out. I have already been working in the field for 18 years, sorry for not clarifying. What I am wanting advice on is the 5 questions I asked. Sometimes I write without thinking. I am sorry! Thank you though. I will check that website out.
The first bit of advise I would give is have a good business plan. (Important) By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.

List of Computer Repair Tracking Software: Some of these software are designed for big company's 

PC Repair Tracker - Pay a one of fee $200 for this software

RepairTraq - Free, Designed for PC Repair

MyITCRM - Free Computer Repairs Industry

Trailblaze - 50 user licence for only £195 (Approx. $240 US). 

Remedy - corporate environment. (We use this) Might be a bit much for a starter company 

OpenRMA - Computer Repair Tracking Software

Here is some free business templates:

Invoice, Purchase Order, Billing etc

I very rarely promote this link below because I think you can get a lot of these documents for free and the cross promoting and glowing reviews is done within a circle of people which is part of the group. Its very shady and I have seen this type of promoting with Steve Cherubino. It's a money making scheme which can be quite lucrative because of the lack of knowledge of  someone who is starting there own business for the first time.  

Technibble Computer Business Kit v3

T Shirt company's are everywhere on the internet 

Company Maintenance Contracts and all other items you listed should of all be covered by a good business plan. 

Don't understated a business plan, this should of been a discussion with your business adviser. Always have a business plan drawn up to discuss concerns you may have with your business adviser. Remember: By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.

Hope this helps.
(04-19-2018, 11:41 AM)Britec Wrote: [ -> ]The first bit of advise I would give is have a good business plan. (Important) By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.

List of Computer Repair Tracking Software: Some of these software are designed for big company's 

PC Repair Tracker - Pay a one of fee $200 for this software

RepairTraq - Free, Designed for PC Repair

MyITCRM - Free Computer Repairs Industry

Trailblaze - 50 user licence for only £195 (Approx. $240 US). 

Remedy - corporate environment. (We use this) Might be a bit much for a starter company 

OpenRMA - Computer Repair Tracking Software

Here is some free business templates:

Invoice, Purchase Order, Billing etc

I very rarely promote this link below because I think you can get a lot of these documents for free and the cross promoting and glowing reviews is done within a circle of people which is part of the group. Its very shady and I have seen this type of promoting with Steve Cherubino. It's a money making scheme which can be quite lucrative because of the lack of knowledge of  someone who is starting there own business for the first time.  

Technibble Computer Business Kit v3

T Shirt company's are everywhere on the internet 

Company Maintenance Contracts and all other items you listed should of all be covered by a good business plan. 

Don't understated a business plan, this should of been a discussion with your business adviser. Always have a business plan drawn up to discuss concerns you may have with your business adviser. Remember: By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.

Hope this helps.

Yes this all helps Brain, thank you so much. Yes, I have a business plan together. I think its important to reach out to others that have exp in this area, bc its helps me ensure I am crossing all my "T,s" and doting my "I,s". I really appreciate your reply on these things!! All this helps me a lot. When my web developer is done with my website, I can do my business cards, then my business sign will be going up.. I am also advertising on our cars, along with Social media integration. Looks like I might use online QuickBooks unless anyone has a better suggestion. My wife is a financial expert with numbers so i am looking for easy billing software, bc shes not really the best with computers, only numbers... As I mentioned, i am only servicing smalls business owners and residential customers, so my services will not be huge like some I have seen over the years. Simple networking, break n fix, remote help, server maint, etc...
In my opinion and where I live word of mouth has been the second biggest way of getting seen. The first of course is a website with good SEO. It took years of great customer relations, professional work and fair prices for me to start seeing new customers coming in from word of mouth. Having a good business plan and certs and good website is important but I feel what is just as important is how you talk to your customers, quality and efficient service along with fair prices consistently. Communication is key. That becomes tough when you have employees so hiring people you know have good people skills along with tech skills. This will keep your customers coming back and telling their friends and family. Without the return customers and good reputation the business plan is out the window.
(04-19-2018, 02:17 PM)Timster Wrote: [ -> ]In my opinion and where I live word of mouth has been the second biggest way of getting seen. The first of course is a website with good SEO. It took years of great customer relations, professional work and fair prices for me to start seeing new customers coming in from word of mouth. Having a good business plan and certs and good website is important but I feel what is just as important is how you talk to your customers, quality and efficient service along with fair prices consistently. Communication is key. That becomes tough when you have employees so hiring people you know have good people skills along with tech skills. This will keep your customers coming back and telling their friends and family. Without the return customers and good reputation the business plan is out the window.

Thank you. I totally agree. While a business plan is important, it doesn't do long-term justice without people/tech skills. Whats good for me I think is that I have both my sons that will be working for me, and they both are certified with great people skills. Thanks so much for your reply!
Here are some other things that might help as well.
  • Financial stability is very important for the tough times a head, when work dry's up, so its always nice to have financial cushion to survive.  
  • Always put back into the business to help it grow.
  • Know your strengths and weaknesses and don't be frightened to say no.
  • Don't be to proud to reach out and ask for help when you need it.
  • Keep learning new skills and keep up to date with modern technology.
  • Know your competition. (Very Important)
  • Get your pricing right and stick to it, don't keep changing it.
  • Branding is everything.
  • Never stop marketing, even if your doing good business.
  • Do a bit of marketing each day.
  • Good communication is very important. (With Staff and Customers)
  • Always keep customers in the loop to any changes.
  • Always deliver an outstanding customer experience.
  • Give free gifts to customers ie Mouse Mats, Fridge Magnets etc all with your company info on them.
  • Get as much information as possible from the customer, phone, email etc. This helps build good customer data base.
  • Always keep a tidy appearance.
  • Never swear around customers. 
  • Never lose your cool with customer. (That's a tough one)

I could go all day  Big Grin
(04-19-2018, 06:16 PM)Britec Wrote: [ -> ]Here are some other things that might help as well.

• Financial stability is very important for the tough times a head, when work dry's up, so its always nice to have financial cushion to survive.  
  • Always put back into the business to help it grow.
  • Know your strengths and weaknesses and don't be frightened to say no.
  • Don't be to proud to reach out and ask for help when you need it.
  • Keep learning new skills and keep up to date with modern technology.
  • Know your competition. (Very Important)
  • Get your pricing right and stick to it, don't keep changing it.
  • Branding is everything.
  • Never stop marketing, even if your doing good business.
  • Do a bit of marketing each day.
  • Good communication is very important. (With Staff and Customers)
  • Always keep customers in the loop to any changes.
  • Always deliver an outstanding customer experience.
  • Give free gifts to customers ie Mouse Mats, Fridge Magnets etc all with your company info on them.
  • Get as much information as possible from the customer, phone, email etc. This helps build good customer data base.
  • Always keep a tidy appearance.
  • Never swear around customers. 
  • Never lose your cool with customer. (That's a tough one)

I could go all day  Big Grin

That is a must and a great refresher!! I shoud post that up on a wall to remind my employees. Thanks..awesome
That's such a great post, Britec. All common sense stuff, but we sometimes lack common sense the most. haha
Pages: 1 2