Britec Tech Support Forum
How do I get Windows Defender running again - Printable Version

+- Britec Tech Support Forum (https://briteccomputers.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Members Area (https://briteccomputers.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=53)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://briteccomputers.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: How do I get Windows Defender running again (/showthread.php?tid=4636)

Pages: 1 2 3

How do I get Windows Defender running again - imcanadian - 12-11-2018

I had a problem with my program of Windows Defender as they are not running at the moment. All I see is when I clicked Threat service has stopped. Restart it now. Unexpected error. Sorry, we ran into a problem. Please try again.

Now how do I get this working again? Any idea with this to get Threat service start again. First I think I better give you a story about what I did with my desktop this morning. I ran Tweaking Windows Repair 4.4.0 in safe mode to repair my operating system of Windows 10 Pro. After that job was done and restarted the desktop in normal mode. Surprised to see that Windows Defender is not running after Windows Repair 4.4.0 ran through in safe mode. Anyway here is the message the guy name Shane is the one who wrote the program, Tweaking Windows Repair 4.4.0 and read below what he said.

OK so here is what I found in my testing, it wasnt any single repair breaking windows 10 1809, the antivirus or anything else. It was windows itself!

I found in my testing that 1809 has a bug where when you use the bcdedit command to set safemode with networking and then use the bcdedit to remove the command it doesn't fully work. Those are the commands my program uses to get windows into safe mode.

So what happens is 2 registry keys are created by windows when using bcdedit but when you remove the command the 2 registry keys are not removed! So windows thinks its still in safe mode when it isnt, and so no service that isnt allowed to run in safe mode will start! This means windows updates not opening, antiivirus not working all of it and a ton more. This didn't happen in older builds or older versions of Windows.

So in the new version of my program (v4.4.0 released today as of this post) I have WR set to remove those two registry keys! After that everything works great and the repairs arent actually breaking anything.

So if you get a user who has this trouble, there is a way to fix it! two ways actually.

1st way: Have them load up the new version of WR and have WR restart in safe mode, once in safe mode open WR and then simply close it. WR will remove the registry keys when it closes and then restart windows. This is by far the easiest way for users.

2nd way: In the program folder under the files folder and then the regfiles folder I made a remove_stuck_safemode.reg files that will delete the registry keys if they are there. All a user needs to do is double click on it and then restart windows. While this may seem easier, it also means telling some users how to actually find the file, which you know isn't always easy.

Keeping up with the constant changes and new bugs in every new build of Windows 10 is a challenge, thanks for hanging in there with me!

-Shane
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I did the 2nd way to go in program folder under the files folder and then the regfiles folder then find the reg file, " remove_stuck_safemode.reg " then double click on that reg file and at last restart the desktop into normal mode.

Well that problem did not solve this and I am stuck with this part that Windows Defender is not working properly. Is there another way to fix this problem to get Windows Defender working again. I know I can't uninstall Windows Defender because is a part of Windows 10 operating system. Oh mine is Windows 10 Professional 64-bit edition.

Let me know any solution to solve this problem. I know that is my biggest mistake to run Tweaking Windows Repair 4.4.0 and is already gone from the hard drive.

Looking forward to hear about this.

Thank you,

John  Angry    Sad

RE: How do I get Windows Defender running again - Compton - 12-11-2018

Perform SFC scan

Click 'Start' > Type cmd in the search field > Right-click the command prompt at the top of the list and select 'Run as Administrator'
Inside the command prompt, type sfc /scannow > Press 'Enter'
4. Reboot and test.

RE: How do I get Windows Defender running again - imcanadian - 12-11-2018

Just try this recently and still no go!! So what's next to do with this?

-- John

run Troubleshooter https://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-run-a-troubleshooter-from-the-command-line-in-windows-10

Almost got this going but at the end -- the same

-- John

open cmd as admin

run

Code:
regsvr32 atl.dll
regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 softpub.dll
regsvr32 mssip32.dll

OK I did this in Command Prompt with Administrator. And the first two regsvr32 with no problem but not the last two as they show me these regsvr failed so that mean I don't have those two DLL files?? If yes, then where do I get these or something that can be fixed in the computer itself.

-- John

ok create a new user account as admin

login to new user account check to see if Windows Defender is working

RE: How do I get Windows Defender running again - smirk24 - 12-12-2018

Windows AIO Repair by tweaking.com is a handy tool but be careful using the program because if you select an option and it runs the repair could also mess up your computer so be sure to only run a repair if you know for sure the repair you select is actually what is needed to be fixed on your computer.

I would check the event logs to see what is being said about windows defender for it may have a way to fix your problem but it could also help you to further your search for a solution also.

RE: How do I get Windows Defender running again - imcanadian - 12-12-2018

Hello smirk24 -- Where do I find the event log in the folder of Tweaking Windows Repair. I see the folder with the name " Logs " but don't see any like this with " event logs ". Can you tell me where to locate this event log.

Thank you,

John