Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HP Proliant DL380 G5 server
Hi to you all,

I just got a HP Proliant DL380 G5 and it sort of worked. The system booted up a few times then I started to instal FreNas got to the boot from and I changed settings to boot from cd the system went off and all I get now is fans runn at full speed, all lights are green but no lights from hard drives cd/dvd draw will not open and no display on moniter.

Can the HP Proliant DL380 G5 be reset to factory settings so as I can start from scratch?
Dose any-one know this problem and if something is wrong what is it and how to fix???

Thank you to all that answer

unplug power adapter from laptop remove laptop battery let it set for a few Minutes then plugin power adopter back into the laptop

then power on the laptop see what will happen

(03-18-2017, 12:51 PM)Compton Wrote:  unplug power  adapter from laptop remove laptop battery  let it set for a few Minutes then plugin power adopter back into the laptop

then power on the laptop see what will happen

this is a server not a laptop but ty for reply look up HP Proliant DL380 G5

HP ProLiant DL380 Specs:

Brand: HP.
Product Line: ProLiant.
Product Type: 2U Rackmount.
Form Factor: 2U Rack.
Processors: Up to 2x Intel® Xeon®
Processor Cache: Up to 12 MB L2.
Memory: Up to 64 GB PC2-5300 Fully Buffered.
Hard Drives: Supports 8x 2.5" SAS or SATA.

It sounds like something in the server got unplugged, or an issue with the power supply. To manually eject your CD-ROM, Straighten out a paper clip and insert it into the little hole in the door...
L.S. Computer Systems
807 East Broadway
Hopewell, VA. 23860, USA
+1 (804) 715-8185
https://www.lscomputersystems.com

(03-19-2017, 02:02 AM)LarryTheComputerGuy Wrote:  It sounds like something in the server got unplugged, or an issue with the power supply. To manually eject your CD-ROM, Straighten out a paper clip and insert it into the little hole in the door...

Ty I will look into that and get back to you. I did think that it could be some thing like that but not sure, I was thinking that it could be the battery on the raid card or the PPM (what ever a PPM is?)
Tottaly new to servers this is why I got one to learn, Againe thanks for reply

(03-19-2017, 10:43 AM)VamP Wrote:  
(03-19-2017, 02:02 AM)LarryTheComputerGuy Wrote:  It sounds like something in the server got unplugged, or an issue with the power supply. To manually eject your CD-ROM, Straighten out a paper clip and insert it into the little hole in the door...

Ty I will look into that and get back to you. I did think that it could be some thing like that but not sure, I was thinking that it could be the battery on the raid card or the PPM (what ever a PPM is?)
Tottaly new to servers this is why I got one to learn, Againe thanks for reply

PPM- Processor Power Module
L.S. Computer Systems
807 East Broadway
Hopewell, VA. 23860, USA
+1 (804) 715-8185

Thanks Larry for info I should have known that lol. I think I have found the problem, I think it is the raid controller battery so wil need to order a new one but can only do that on Friday then I will have to weaight for it to turn up in the post.
This is what I am going to do 1 change raid battery (if no joy), 2 add another PPM to second slot plus CPU to slot 2 and hope this will fix the problem?? I did get the DVD Rom out but still nothing.

Recap Server powers up fans run at 100% and stay at 100% nothing from monitor, SAS/SATA Hot swop bay flashes red, orange, green and blue twice then nothing, DVD rom will not open so can not put in IOS disc and last of all frount led panel shows 3 green led's for power this is good but no other led's are showing so no other faults.

I hope this will help a bit more BIG TY to Larry to every one else for there help!!

(03-20-2017, 10:01 AM)VamP Wrote:  Thanks Larry for info I should have known that lol. I think I have found the problem, I think it is the raid controller battery so wil need to order a new one but can only do that on Friday then I will have to weaight for it to turn up in the post.
This is what I am going to do 1 change raid battery (if no joy),  2 add another PPM to second slot plus CPU to slot 2 and hope this will fix the problem??  I did get the DVD Rom out but still nothing.

Recap Server powers up fans run at 100% and stay at 100% nothing from monitor, SAS/SATA Hot swop bay flashes red, orange, green and blue twice then nothing, DVD rom will not open so can not put in IOS disc and last of all frount led panel shows 3 green led's for power this is good but no other led's are showing so no other faults.

I hope this will help a bit more BIG TY to Larry to every one else for there help!!

((2 add another PPM to second slot plus CPU to slot 2)) You only have 1 CPU installed? If the server board has 2 CPU slots, you should have both CPU's installed for it to work. This may be why your lights on the front are not indicating anything.

I would also pull all the memory modules and test one at a time....
L.S. Computer Systems
807 East Broadway
Hopewell, VA. 23860, USA
+1 (804) 715-8185

Some info on SAS light faults;

https://h20464.www2.hp.com/Media/B029D8FF-5EF2-40DC-8F6C-4145253842DC/460cg7_fru_sasharddriveledsandledcombinations.htm