The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 861 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 861 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet speed slower than wifi
Hello, I have a situation where my ISP (virgin media) upgraded me to 100Mb/s it was about 75Mb/s before (as measured by speedtest.net) its not exactly a problem since most people would be pleased with these speeds, its more of academic interest..

I occasionally checked using my Windows 10 Desktop Acer Aspire to see if they had completed the upgrade but it never went much above 70Mb/s for a week. Just to see I checked it on my tablet 5G wifi connection and sure enough it was 102Mb/s so the upgrade was complete.

I wondered why the desktop was slower when the ethernet cable and wifi signal are coming out of the same Netgear 6220 router.
I did the following checks..

1..checked the firmware on the router is up to date which it is, I dont think it is the router anyway as it can provide 100Mb/s wifi
2.. checked the driver on the Nvidia n series network controller on the desktop was up to date, it is as up to date as I can make it but I still think it should be capable of 100Mb/s anyway
3.. As I couldnt be sure of check 2 I changed the method the desktop gets online when I plugged in a USB3/LAN adapter and plugged the ethernet cable into that, the result is the same speed of 70Mb/s so I think this eliminates the Nvidia controller as a suspect
4.. the last thing I can think of is the ethernet cable itself, I think it is Cat 5 so I have ordered a Cat 7 cable which should arrive in 3 days

does anyone have any other ideas I can try out in the meantime, or do they think the Cat 7 cable will improve things?
thanks
Craig

Messages In This Thread
Ethernet speed slower than wifi - cw2879 - 08-14-2018, 04:09 PM