The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 861 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 861 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Internet Download Speeds Slow Following Modem Upgrade
I am looking for some answers as to the cause of my measured download speeds slowing after Spectrum installed a new upgraded modem. I occasionally run speedtest.com to check my internet speed. Normally I have gotten 50-60 Mbps down and 8-11 Mbps upload. This week my internet service provider, Spectrum, installed a new Arris TM1602 cable modem. They said this upgrade was needed to achieve the 100 Mbps available later this spring. This modem also has VOIP for our phone service.

I ran a speed test at speedtest.net as well as several other speed test sites. I am now getting 25-35 Mbps download and 11 Mbps upload. So the upload is still good but the download has slowed about 40%. This is with the modem connected to my PC with an ethernet cable directly. A technician came back to check it and he was able to achieve 75+ Mbps download with a Mac laptop and also with an app on his smartphone. He said my issue was old hardware. This may be true but why has the speed decreased to almost half what it was before the modem upgrade? I tested the speed with my wife's Dell laptop and that was only able to achieve about 25 Mbps download as well when connected directly to the modem.

I am retired and work on computer repair for several friends and family, both software and hardware. My PC is lean and clean with no viruses or malware. I run Ccleaner on a weekly basis as well as Malwarebytes, ADWcleaner, and other scanners. My old computer is relatively fast for most of the things I do with it, which is browsing the internet, watching Bitec's YouTube videos, and creating Word documents. No gaming at all. I will probably have to concede and build a new computer this year. The point is, my old computer still runs well and does what I need it to do fairly efficiently. Maybe there is no answer to the cause of my decreased internet download speeds, other than a new system. But then again, my wife's laptop shows the slower speeds too. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

My PC specs:
Asus P4SD-LA motherboard
Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz and 4 GB of memory
Windows 7 32-bit running Firefox version 64
Arris TM1602 cable modem

Messages In This Thread
Internet Download Speeds Slow Following Modem Upgrade - geo791 - 01-04-2019, 05:45 AM