Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Internet Download Speeds Slow Following Modem Upgrade
(01-11-2019, 11:57 AM)Compton Wrote:  Just out of interest what is the specs of your wife laptop?

What you can do is to upgrade your router to see if you will get better speed over Wi-Fi

If you get better speeds over Wi-Fi  then you know it your computer.

My wife's laptop is a Dell Inspiron 15 with an Intel I-3 processor and 6 GB of ram running Windows 10. We connected her laptop to the Arris modem directly with an Ethernet cable also and the download speed was 25-30 Mbps, no better than my old desktop computer. The Dell laptop is five years old.

I upgraded my router a year ago to a TP-Link Archer 7 AC1750. Before that I was using a Linksys which was constantly dropping the wifi connections. Since installing the TP-Link router we have not experienced a single dropped connection. It's a very good router. I paid $80 for it on Amazon. In any case, I cabled both the desktop and the laptop directly to the Arris modem with both yielding similar download speeds.

I know my desktop computer has pretty old and obsolete hardware, and I was not expecting to get 100 Mbps speeds. I was expecting to get the same or a bit higher speeds, not slower. Looks like I will have to build a new computer before I will be able to get any where near the speed I am paying for, which is 100 Mbps download. Thank you.

Oh, and one more thing. When I select the option to "Subscribe and receive email notification of new repplies", I never get notified for some reason.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Internet Download Speeds Slow Following Modem Upgrade - geo791 - 01-13-2019, 08:46 PM