The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 861 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 861 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diagnosing a dead dedicated GPU
Question 
Just curious on this one and if you'd be willing to do a video on this. How would you go about diagnosing a dead dedicated GPU today?
(For other forum members not sure what I mean by dedicated GPU, I mean the cards you plug into the PCI Express port, not built-in GPUs inside modern CPUs)

I'm curious as a long time ago, back when the AGP (Advanced Graphics Port) socket was all the rage for GPUs, I remember buying a 2nd hand GPU from Computer Exchange. Brought it home and plugged it in. Now from this point keep in mind my PCs are all custom built and so not all motherboards came with a PC speaker (the ones that plug in via a header, not the 3.5mm audio port) nor did they have little LED displays that could give error codes on POST boot up, and at this time I didn't have any PC speakers to plug in. When I pressed the power button the PC started as all the fans spun up, but nothing was shown on my monitor. I reseated the GPU, checked the VGA cable. Nothing. Pulled the card out, put my old card back in to see if I had damaged something, but nope the PC booted to Windows no problem, and I could see it on the monitor.

So I grabbed a 2nd PC of mine, tried the card in that and same thing, fans spun up but nothing on the monitor. I put my old working card from my 1st PC into the 2nd PC and it booted to the BIOS no problem (I hadn't put an OS on it yet as the 2nd PC was for testing, not mainstream use). It was at that point I figured the GPU was dead. I returned it the next day and got my money back.

Messages In This Thread
Diagnosing a dead dedicated GPU - MaskedGeek - 10-15-2019, 02:24 PM