Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disappearing icons in systray
Hi,
I have a Packard Bell EasyNote TE69KB computer, running on windows 8 OEM, updated to windows 8.1.
Ever since I updated to windows 8.1, I have had an issue (non vital, I admit, but a dreary bore) with my systray.
On most reboots (but not all) and start ups, I have had a problem with the following icons :
2 program icons : Secunia PSI and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit;
2 system icons   : the volume and action center icons.

Concerning the system icons :
In the customizing panel, I have opted to be always visible, as well as their notification. Yet, most of the time when I reboot, or start up the system, they don't appear in the systray and when I go into the panel where you can press on a button to enable or disable those system icons, the button is greyed up, so I can't enable them thus.
I can revive the volume icon by rebooting Explorer in the Task Manager every time that icon disappears, which is getting rather tedious and makes me dread every reboot or start up. Besides, my two program icons will then disappear from the systray!
As to the action center, nothing I do will make it reappear and theenable button will stay greyed out until it's decided to show itself again in its own good time!

Concerning the program icons :

They mostly vanish on reboot, but another reboot will have them reappear. But then, my volume icon disappears! If I reboot Explorer in the Task Manager to revive my volume icon, they disappear! If I want to see their state, I have to go into the customization panel to do so (practical isn't it?)

To sum up my problem :
I have to choose between my program and volume icons on reboot or start up, I can't have them all, even if I choose to have all icons appear in the systray : that will only add up OneDrive and Bluetooth icons, but not solve the problem. As to the action centre icon, it has a mind of its own!
This is both a silly and infuriating issue, contrary to the purpose of the systray and its customization possibilities!
Concerning the volume icon, it's not a new problem to boot, from what I read on the Internet, though I never encountered that issue on XP, Seven or even windows 8 : it started with the windows 8.1 update.

Therefore, I'd be more than thankful for any once and for all solution for all my systray icons problem.

Thanks for reading me.

I wish all of you a nice weekend!

it sound like something got corrupted when upgrading to 8.1

are you upgrading to windows 10 ?

if you are not upgrading I would just do a refresh install of 8.1

Marina14

You have posted the same thing here: https://discuss.howtogeek.com/t/disappearing-icons-in-systray/31633

Cross posting is not allowed please read the forum rules.

you have be officially warn

Hi Compton,
Thanks a lot for your quick and interesting answer to my post.
I think your diagnosis may unfortunately be 100% accurate.
That had more or less occured to me, but I failed to take stock of its logical and unnerving conclusion .
A few days ago, thinking of the possible necessity of having once to restore my system from a windows image backup, I attempted to go through the moves and found out to my dismay that the necessary link to the system settings was broken, whether from my deskstop or from the modern interface, that I almost never use, which explains why it had escaped my notice.
I then made some research on the Net and downloaded the mediacreationtool.exe from the official site, copied it on a usb stick and rebooted my system from it, meaning to do precisely what you suggested, making a refresh install of windows 8.1.
I was pleased to find out, I could access all the options I would have from the modern interface system settings and accordingly opted for the refresh.
Unfortunately, it failed.
I also tried to dowload the windows 8.1 update from the windows store (I'd originally did so from Windows Update). It also failed, telling me it was impossible, because I had an Enterprise version or a volume licence (absolute nonsense : I have an O.E.M. Core version).
By the way, eversince my update to Windows 8.1, I've been puzzled when looking up various Microsoft help pages to see at the bottom of it that my computer was running on windows 8, whereas my system properties always told me I was running Windows 8.1. Does that discrepancy matter?
As I do have on my C:\ drive a windows image backup dating from december 2014 (which just might be synchoneous with my updating to windows 8.1), I've been wondering whether that wouldn't be an alternative to the step I dread taking : reinitializing my system. I have done a lot of personalization work on my system to combine what I consider the real advantages of windows 8 with the comfort of a use in windows 7 fashion, notably with a true start menu (thanks to Classic Shell). So of course, I'm not keen on having perhaps to have to do it all over again. I have kept all my notes, but it had been a long and difficult work then, though with a bit af luck I might find it easier now. Still, if absolutely necessary, I will do so.
Your question about windows 10 also interests me. And the answer is that yes, I have reserved my update to windows 10 before I'd discovered the probable corruption of my windows 8.1 update. And that also has been on my mind ever since : will that corruption prevent that update to windows 8 or on the contrary might that update be a way out of my difficulties and spare me the necessity of repairing my windows 8.1 update, especially if it means reinitialising my system?
Just at present, I'm reviewing my files in order to have a backup of all my personal data on an exxternal HDD to revert to in case of need, without being bothered yet again by length of name or path (a windows 8 novelty to me).
I hope what I've told you has been cleear enough.
Needless to say, I would very much appreciate your advice, because if I have properly understood your answer you suspect that my annoying icon problem is symptomatic of a far more serious one.
Thanks for reading me and your willingness to help me.
I'm looking forward to your answer.
Have a nice day!