Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hard Drive Problem
Hi guys,

about a week ago I got this massage when I started my computer...

Checking File system on C:
The type of file system is NTFS

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency.
You may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended that you continue
Windows will now check the disk.
Cannot open volume for direct access.
Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed package.
Use the system restore feature from the control panel to restore to a point prior to the recent software package installation.
An unspecified error has occurred: (766f6c756d652e63 3fl)

This is the error I got…turn computer on…get black screen and this massage above…chkdsk won’t start then boots into windows. I get a warning that System Reserve if full.
Chkdsk can’t be run with CMD either…if I click on a restore point I get…Volume is corrupt and it won’t work. Run Crystal Disk and Western Digital Hard Drive Tester…two stages and both said HDD was good…also did several virus scans too but nothing was found. I didn’t install any software either.
So I took out the problem HDD and replaced it with the clone (new HDD) and problem is gone and did a chkdsk /r which worked…so it was a HDD problem this time and not a Windows problem for a change. I did have a problem with this HDD a few months ago…sometimes it would take a while to boot eg 2 minutes but it seemed to fix itself until now…it is 4 yrs old and they don’t last forever. If the HDD tester found bad sectors it would give you some idea what was happening but to say it was good doesn’t say much for them.

The new Hard Drive has been working for a week now without any problems...touch wood. I wiped the bad Hard Drive with diskpart and re-cloned it...then put it back in and it booted into Windows 7 without that massage but when I tried to run chkdsk /r at startup I got the same problem...so I think I've solved the problem...has anyone else had this happen to them.

I recommend that system hard drive should be scan disk at least every two month followed with a defrag. It's true that these two program will push the HD but by not doing this you end up with a very fragmented hard drive that has to work very hard all the time trying to find all the data that is spread all over the sectors then you start to end up with bad sectors which will reduce spees. I got a WD raptor HD that is getting on for 8 year old and still working as system disk. I did phone up Weston digital about the noise of the thing but they told me that is normal as it run's at 10,000rpm that was not long after i built the pc. I have all way run both scan disk & defrag to keep it clean. I think HDD tester only run read & write test so as long as the HD can stay above a score i guess it rates it as good. corrupt window files can cause a lot of problems when this happens best to use a boot dvd like mini win xp this will allow you to run Scan disk on your real system disk.

There is no need to defrag a Win 7 OS as it's automatically done in the background by the OS.

This error could be anything from a simple unassigned drive letter to as you say a failing HDD although it's more likely that windows has been backing up to the System Reserved partition, removing those unwanted files should resolve it, just makes sure not to touch the reserve files.

(08-29-2015, 06:50 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  There is no need to defrag a Win 7 OS as it's automatically done in the background by the OS.

This error could be anything from a simple unassigned drive letter to as you say a failing HDD although it's more likely that windows has been backing up to the System Reserved partition, removing those unwanted files should resolve it, just makes sure not to touch the reserve files.

One day System Reserved partition has 61MB of free space and the very next day is full...not sure what you mean by "Removing unwanted files from System Reserved partition"...do you mean Disk Cleanup because I've run that too.

The problem HDD was cloned and put back into the computer and booted strait into Windows 7...so why can't I run chkdsk from CMD. I booted into my Windows 7 disk...repair computer and could run chkdsk /r from the CMD on the disk.

It ran for nearly 3 hours and said..."Windows has checked the file system and found no problems". The new HDD which is in and working just fine is a clone of the problem HDD that was cloned about 5 weeks ago and everything is the same.

Since I'm not a tech I can only guess the HDD is the problem as it's 4 yrs old and chkdsk won't run but will on new HDD.

also having low ram will effect how long a hard drive last. virtual memory really do hammer HD hard. I would not go trusting that old HD with anything you want to back up.

(08-30-2015, 03:45 PM)sasrob Wrote:  also having low ram will effect how long a hard drive last. virtual memory really do hammer HD hard. I would not go trusting that old HD with anything you want to back up.

I have 16GB of ram...so not a problem there and have replaced the drive with a new one. Seems I'm the only person that has had this problem...but did Google it and got some answers but was thinking I'd get a better response from this forum...silly me.

Sounds like you have a corrupted file system. There are a number of things that cause this and sometimes you can never know exactly why or when. The fact that chkdsk worked on the clone is a bit of a mystery. Perhaps a repair install would clear things up on the original drive? All in all I have experienced similar issue like this from time to time.
Tim's Computer Repair (TCR) 
1503 Kings Way, Savannah, GA 31406, US
912-220-0765
https://www.TimsComputerFix.net