Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows Server 2008 R2 as a router
Good day, people. I'm Bill and hail from Trenton, NJ, USA. I have Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 installed on an old workstation PC and added an Intel PRO/1000 MT dual port gigabit Ethernet NIC and a Linksys dual-channel wireless N card to act as the wireless access point.

The way I would have it setup is much like a normal router (DHCP); the on-board Broadcom 10/100/1000 NIC would be connected to the cable modem. My normal desktop and the CPU in the basement would be connected to the Intel dual port NIC and phones, tablets, and laptops would connect to the WiFi card on either the 2.4 or 5 GHz channels.

The issue I'm running into is that when I connect to the wireless card, I'm not reaching full potential of N speeds 270+ Mbps, only 54 Mbps (G speeds). There is NO interference either. Has anyone here run into this issue before?

I would also like to know if there's a way that I can pre-fetch Windows 7 and 8 updates ahead of time to make updates faster over the LAN since they could be stored on the HOST's hard drive.

Hope to hear some news. Thanks in advance.

~Bill

you can download the updates using wusus Offline Update