Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Install or Not Install Antivirus
Well I got this old laptop and it only got 2 gb of ram on it and whenever I use the browser the cpu shot right up to 100% and it figures that I can't install an antivirus since it would slow the computer even more. So do you think I should I just leave it for browser usage only just for watching movie?

What's the OS?

What's running in Task Manager?

The OS is Window 7 Ultimate (Fresh Installed)
What's running in the task manager is just my mousepad driver, audio driver, and internet explorer.
I removed most of the junk file with ccleaner.

The laptop is more of a square model and it only has 1 core on the cpu which is an amd

(09-25-2014, 11:38 PM)jacksonspham Wrote:  The OS is Window 7 Ultimate (Fresh Installed)
What's running in the task manager is just my mousepad driver, audio driver, and internet explorer.
I removed most of the junk file with ccleaner.

The laptop is more of a square model and it only has 1 core on the cpu which is an amd

Is that with y'all users' selected?

Is the browser iexplorer, firefox etc taking up the CPU time? More info is needed, can you post a screen shot?

The laptop is cheap for about 30 buck from a friend

The browser we use is explorer because firefox is slow and the cpu does reach to 100% while the browser(explorer/firefox) is in used. there's no other application that is opened.
The cpu is amd but I know the fact its an old brand with 1.0 ghz and it could barely play any flash game.
The HDD Read and Write speed is 50mb/s the last time I check.

(09-26-2014, 12:10 AM)jacksonspham Wrote:  The laptop is cheap for about 30 buck from a friend

The browser we use is explorer because firefox is slow and the cpu does reach to 100% while the browser(explorer/firefox) is in used. there's no other application that is opened.
The cpu is amd but I know the fact its an old brand with 1.0 ghz and it could barely play any flash game.
The HDD Read and Write speed is 50mb/s the last time I check.

Woah! Sounds similar to an old IBM Thinkpad lol, if it barely plays flash games I think you'll struggle to watch movies on it.
Was it previously running XP or earlier?

You may even struggle to run Linux lite on it sadly (had a few like that myself in the past).

You didn't state if it was just the browser process at 100% or if it is mixed with other processes, by default System Idle should take up most with not much running which is why I asked for a screenshot.

What exactly are you trying to do with the computer? If it's just for surfing the web/email/word processing, the lubuntu distribution is pretty great. Hard to tell you to put any money into the machine on ram if it can even take more than 2gb of ram. Can we get an actual model number?

You could but Ubuntu 32-bit if it has such little ram.