Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pc will not power on. Msi gaming 5 mb problem?
Hi guys,

I have recently fitted a watercooling loop to my six mth old pc. The loop includes a Gpu and cpu waterblock. Now the only cable I moved was the atx cable so I could do my 24hr leak test on the loop. Once I was ready to power up the system I plugged the atx cable in and tried to power up the computer with the result being a dead pc. No lights or fans just silence.

After hours of checking cables and the like I completely pulled the water loop out and then the motherboard just in case there was a short of some sort. Once I got it out onto the motherboard box I installed the stock Intel fan, one stick of ram and tried to power the cpu. Once agin it did nothing.

So do I have a dead motherboard? Huh

Thanks for any help.

Pc specs
Msi z97 gaming 5 mb
Msi Gtx970
16gb Kingston ram
seasonic 650w psu

start from the power supply

how to troubleshoot a PC that's  powering on but no display

(02-19-2016, 01:58 PM)Compton Wrote:  start from the power supply

how to troubleshoot a PC that's  powering on but no display

Ok I've gone through the all the checks. I've also checked all the voltages on the psu, with a load and it's fine.
I've also tested the power and reset switches and their fine.

So I'm guessing th motherboard. What do you think Compton?

Any ideas how it may have died during the water loop install?

ok I know you said that you tested the power supply
but did you actually test with a known good power supply to be sure?

now let's just say it's the motherboard
Any ideas how it may have died during the water loop install?

yes something call antistatic did you wear an antistatic wrist strap?
did you open it on carpet ? did you stand or sit on carpet when opening the system?

Did you ground yourself against the chassis or wear an anti static wristband before you started poking around inside? I've seen mobos die instantly through static discharge...
Remember! You should exercise complete CTRL and you ALT to think carefully before you DELete stuff willy nilly.

Does the motherboard have a on board speaker or a speaker pin out? If so try removing the cpu and ram and try powering on to see if you at least get beep codes. If you get beep codes your cpu could be the culprit.
Tim's Computer Repair (TCR) 
1503 Kings Way, Savannah, GA 31406, US
912-220-0765
https://www.TimsComputerFix.net 

(02-20-2016, 03:30 PM)Timster Wrote:  Does the motherboard have a on board speaker or a speaker pin out? If so try removing the cpu and ram and try powering on to see if you at least get beep codes. If you get beep codes your cpu could be the culprit.

Ok to answer the last couple questions.

No I didn't wear an antistatic strap.

I did try to ground myself on the case before touching things but there's obviously a chance I may have forgotten to on an occasion.

I wasn't on carpet at the time.

I don't have another psu to test that for sure.

I plugged in a speaker and just the atx plug from the psu and nothing happened, no beep codes. Is that correct? No cpu or ram was installed at the time.

Thanks for the replies guys but does the above info suggest motherboard is more likely?

ok now yes it could be your motherboard
but I am the kind technician that like to be 100% sure its the motherboard

now my advice to you as a technician is to
get another power supply to be 100% sure

you can always keep the power supply for testing

now you can get the motherboard and hope and pray it's the motherboard
its up to you