Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beware of Comodo Internet Security
When you install Comodo Internet Security, in the default configuration an application called "GeekBuddy" is also installed and added to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services. GeekBuddy is a tech support application, that uses a number of questionable and shady tactics to encourage users to pay for online tech support. It also installs a VNC server and enables it by default.

https://code.google.com/p/google-security-research/issues/detail?id=703

(02-24-2016, 09:01 PM)nirverail Wrote:  When you install Comodo Internet Security, in the default configuration an application called "GeekBuddy" is also installed and added to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services. GeekBuddy is a tech support application, that uses a number of questionable and shady tactics to encourage users to pay for online tech support. It also installs a VNC server and enables it by default.

Yes, that is correct.  In fact if you default instal, you also install Chromodo browser too as well as agreeing to share data and driving your traffic through their servers. That's why I always custom install stuff. Especially 'free' software. Another good idea is to install unchecky, this takes care of that kind of stuff for you.

Unfortunately, the days of installing PUPs and PUMs -free software is becoming ever increasing.
Remember! You should exercise complete CTRL and you ALT to think carefully before you DELete stuff willy nilly.

(02-25-2016, 02:22 AM)EAPTCB Wrote:  
(02-24-2016, 09:01 PM)nirverail Wrote:  When you install Comodo Internet Security, in the default configuration an application called "GeekBuddy" is also installed and added to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services. GeekBuddy is a tech support application, that uses a number of questionable and shady tactics to encourage users to pay for online tech support. It also installs a VNC server and enables it by default.

Yes, that is correct.  In fact if you default instal, you also install Chromodo browser too as well as agreeing to share data and driving your traffic through their servers. That's why I always custom install stuff. Especially 'free' software. Another good idea is to install unchecky, this takes care of that kind of stuff for you.

Unfortunately, the days of installing PUPs and PUMs -free software is becoming ever increasing.

My  point was that this is supposed to be software that protects people and it is installing malware.
Not a case of custom installing it. It should not be installed at all under any circumstances.

(02-25-2016, 06:14 AM)nirverail Wrote:  My  point was that this is supposed to be software that protects people and it is installing malware.
Not a case of custom installing it. It should not be installed at all under any circumstances.

Yes, I couldn't agree with you more, it's never good when that happens. I was just offering a workaround for other members on the forum whom may of shared your concerns and didn't know what to do about it.
Remember! You should exercise complete CTRL and you ALT to think carefully before you DELete stuff willy nilly.