Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opinions from those in the know about BIOS
I would like opinions from ANYONE who knows ANYTHING about the importance(or lack thereof)of BIOS updates.Including but,not limited to.....All in one flashing (skipping all but newest updates)Flashing 1 update at a time(what ASUS suggests)or NOT flashing the BIOS at ALL(as to NOT BRICK the motherboard)This is for those of us(me)who are retarded and have absolutely NO brains or knowledge of same.Thank you for anyone who has the compassion to respond.For the record...I got a "No keyboard detected ....power supply surge" error recently and had to reset and it hasn't happened since.I was told by the nimrod that created this lunacy that I needed update the BIOS.

So far I have been warned not to.......AAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!

Well,I just loaded my System Information and under problem devices my Sidewinder X5 AND my Reclusa keyboard are showing Not connected properly or drivers are missing or not complete.So,I just loaded all the drivers I could find for both and the info is the same.Just a shot in the dark but,I'm guessing it 'aint the BIOS?

If you speak to an engineer, they will tell you to always update your BIOS. Whereas a technician will tell you "If it aint broke, don't fix it".

I have only ever had to do a BIOS update once and that was because the BIOS was ancient by todays standards so certain options weren't available (and were needed for fresh installs etc..).

But yes if you do decide to take that route be very careful, take your time and ideally get help from someone local to you that will be able to show you and guide you directly through the process as it WILL brick the machine if done wrong.

(03-10-2016, 02:15 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  If you speak to an engineer, they will tell you to always update your BIOS. Whereas a technician will tell you "If it aint broke, don't fix it".

I have only ever had to do a BIOS update once and that was because the BIOS was ancient by todays standards so certain options weren't available (and were needed for fresh installs etc..).

But yes if you do decide to take that route be very careful, take your time and ideally get help from someone local to you that will be able to show you and guide you directly through the process as it WILL brick the machine if done wrong.

Thx dude(or dude'ess) Love the Avatar......I know a little about this as I used ASUS's auto update on my P5N-D for 7 years without issue.....that being said technology has changed and I don't wanna 86 the new build.I am going to hold off on any updating until after my BIOS catches up with the 18th of March and then see if it makes a diff.I have only had that one error so far so.......thx again.