Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recycle Bin not working
When I go to drag and drop items in my recycle bin, they just magically dissapear. Is this normal for windows 10?

(04-09-2016, 01:40 PM)nshergi Wrote:  When I go to drag and drop items in my recycle bin, they just magically dissapear. Is this normal for windows 10?

No, it's not normal unless the default settings are changed. Files moved to the recycle bin won't just disappear without user intervention.

Does this happen only if you drag and drop items in the bin..? what happens if you delete a file by pressing the delete key?

Just to let you know, there is an option to remove files immediately when deleted instead of moving them to the recycle bin first. If you right click the recycle bin and click properties, you will see the option there

Make sure that option is unchecked for your primary drive where Windows is installed

I have attached a screenshot just in case

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(04-09-2016, 08:15 PM)Partha Wrote:  
(04-09-2016, 01:40 PM)nshergi Wrote:  When I go to drag and drop items in my recycle bin, they just magically dissapear. Is this normal for windows 10?

No, it's not normal unless the default settings are changed. Files moved to the recycle bin won't just disappear without user intervention.

Does this happen only if you drag and drop items in the bin..? what happens if you delete a file by pressing the delete key?

Just to let you know, there is an option to remove files immediately when deleted instead of moving them to the recycle bin first. If you right click the recycle bin and click properties, you will see the option there

Make sure that option is unchecked for your primary drive where Windows is installed

I have attached a screenshot just in case

I don't get any of the options. (It won't let me attach a screenshot because it is too big)

So what exactly do you see when you right click the recycle bin and select properties?

Just take the screenshot of the window, paste it in mspaint and save it as a jpeg file, and then attach it with your reply

Take screenshot using Snipping Tool

I would like to know if you are the administrator

Click on the Start button with the Windows logo on it and type Control ... the control panel should show in the search results

Click there to access the control panel and click User accounts

There, you should see all the user accounts that exist. Select your user account and see if "Administrator" appears under your user name

Check the attached screenshots ..

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

open command prompt Run Chkdsk /f /r

Yes I am the Admin, but it does not give me the Admin Privileges to run the Chkdsk /f /r command.

(04-09-2016, 09:10 PM)nshergi Wrote:  Yes I am the Admin, but it does not give me the Admin Privileges to run the Chkdsk /f /r command.

you would need to open an elevated command prompt.. right click the Command prompt and select "Run as administrator"

by the way, after running the check disk command, run the sfc /scannow command too as explained at https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/kb/929833