Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 8 BCD Error
Hello fellow geeks,

Laptop specs defined in the link below, the computer is 1 1/2-2 years old:

Gateway NE56R41u Pentium B960 2.2GHz 4GB 500GB DVD±RW 15.6-Inch LED Windows 8 Laptop

I have a computer that a friend gave me to fix and it has a Boot Configuration Data (BCD) error:

Recovery

You're PC needs to be repaired.

The boot configuration data is missing some required information.

File: \BCD

Error code: 0xc000000d

You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media. If you do not have any installation media(like a disk or USB device), contact your system administrator or PC manufacturer.

My first thought is to create a Windows 8 Repair disc but I'm not sure I did it right. I download the ISO images from a 3rd party and the MediaCreationTool. I then went through the steps and chose USB File installation method.

There is one problem though which is that I cannot boot into the BIOS to change the priorities. When I first boot up the computer it goes to the screen that has the error message above. It gives me and option for the UEFI Firmware Settings but asks for a password that she never set up.

So then I tried the CMOS battery and that worked and I was able to change it to Legacy BIOS. My next problem it that after resetting the CMOS battery and changing the boot mode to Legacy BIOS I get a message like this when trying to boot the HDD:

Broadcom UNDI PXE-2.1 v15.0.11
Copyright © 2000-2011 Broadcom Corporation
Copyright © 1997-2000
All Rights Reserved
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM
No bootable device --- insert boot disk and press any key

So I read that I just had to disable the "Network Boot" and it got rid of the Broadcom and PXE errors. The no bootable device error shows up still. I checked the HDD inside the laptop and it is connected securely. In the BIOS it recognizes it as HDD0: Toshiba MQ01ABF050.

On the Media Creation Tool side of things I get stopped at every turn. I tried:

1. Startup Repair, It runs the "Diagnosing PC" and attempts the repairs, but then I get this message:

Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC; Press "Advanced options" to try other options to repair your PC or "Shut down" to turn off your PC.

2. Refresh your PC, It goes straight to this:

The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again.

3.System Restore, a window popups stating:

To use System Restore, you must specify which Windows installation to restore
Restart this computer, select an operating system, and the select System Restore.

4. Command Prompt, when using the DISKPART command I found two disks which the DISK 0 looks like the Primary 465GB and DISK 1 has 14GB. I then selected DISK 0 then listed the partitions which displayed this:

Partition ### .........Type_______________ Size______ Offset___
Partition 1 ............. Recovery ...................400 MB.........1024 KB
Partition 2 ............. System ......................300 MB .........401 MB
Partition 3 ............. Reserved ..................128 MB......... .701 MB
Partition 4 ............. Primary .....................449 GB .........829 MB
Partition 5 ............ Recovery ......................15 GB .........450 GB

DISK 1 showed this:

Partition ### ..... Type _________ . Size . Offset___
Partition 1 ............. Primary .....................14 GB ..........1024 KB

This leads me into the next option I chose.

5. System Image Recovery, I get an instant "Re-image Your Computer" window:

Windows cannot find a system image on this computer

Attach the backup hard disk or insert the final DVD from a backup set and click Retry. Alternatively, close this dialog form more options.

I was thinking that I could use the Recovery Image in Partition 5 to Recover the System back to the Factory Image. But when I go to the "Select a system image" window I can't get the recovery partition to show up, the "Refresh" tab doesn't do anything. I clicked the "Advanced..." tab and I am presented with two options:

Search for system image on the Network: which isn't an option because there is no network to get an image off of.

Install a driver: This one I am unsure about as I don't know what driver I would install to have this option functioning to resolve my problem.

Finally the last option I decided to do was:

6. Reset your PC, It went to a screen that had the Windows 8 loading circle and said "Please Wait" have it was done I got this message.

Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing.

After going through every single option, nothing worked and now I'm at a stand still. Maybe you guys see something I don't. I know this is a long reply but I wanted to be as through as possible leaving no stone un-turned. Let me know if you need more information.

I was thinking of just re-installing Windows but I believe it requires a product key which I thought would just activate automatically from the existing one on the HDD.

It is pre-installed (OEM), that is why I was trying to do a recovery process but it doesn't seem like an option at this point. I did get the data off of it using this:

USB 3 to SATA 3 Converter Adapter probably the best investment for data recovery yet.]USB 3 to SATA 3 Converter Adapter[/url] probably the best investment for data recovery yet.

P.S. I used the method presented on this website. Repair WIndows Error

test the hard drive sounds like it's going bad

(04-22-2016, 10:42 PM)Compton Wrote:  test the hard drive sounds like it's going bad

How would I test the sounds on the HDD?

I did not mean to actually test the sound of the hard drive

start watching from 6.40

download  Hiren’s BootCD

I found the fix thanks you for the help. I just recreated the BCD Boot files in Command Prompt. Here is the video that did it for me.

solved thread closed