Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clone an old Windows 98 HDD
Hello,

I'm trying to clone an old Windows 98 hard drive that I have connected via USB to my main computer, so I can make a clone that I can keep on another hdd in a folder, or even on a dedicated USB drive.
When the current drive finally fails [an old 4GB Toshiba 2.5'' drive from a laptop] I can just put my clone on another HDD so I can continue to use the install, or indeed even use it as a backup for the existing install, because it works so well.
About the laptop; it's a fairly old Toshiba T8000 with a PII 233MHz, 96MB memory and a cd reader which I love, and the Windows 98 install on it is brilliant, but it prohibits me to really play with the computer for fear of the HDD failing/Windows pooping all over itself.
So I took out the HDD in hopes of cloning the complete C: partition, mbr etc included into maybe an .iso or .img and I need some help not screwing things up !

The laptop is capable of booting off of a bootable cd, it also has one whole USB port, which, of course, is not bootable.

Currently the little 4GB Toshiba HDD is very healthy, with no bad sectors according to HD Tune, which is a bit of a miracle, but of course it won't last forever.

Sorry if I'm rambling a bit and maybe not being completely clear, but it's very late and English isn't my first language.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

FB

you can use  clonezilla