Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home servers
Thumbs Up 
Hi to all,

Need some addvice on servers, I hope you can help. Ferst of all I need to build a Home server with at least 150TB storage to store all those CD's/DVD's, Photos, written Doc's and to store vids for youtube. I'm need the server to be able to talk to all devices like smart phone, Tablets, PC and laptop so which is the best OS? FreeNas or windows or other??

Do you think this HP PROLIANT DL380 G6 RACK SERVER, 2x X5550 8 Cores/16 Logical CPUs, 72GB RAM, 2X146 SAS, Dual PSU will do the job? if not what do you all recomend?

I have built PC's befor but never a server so this will be my next project I hope you can help I also need help with which is the best to do ribbon saving or other? Due to possibal hard drive failer and a llitel more info on Raid please.

Big TY
From STE  

(07-10-2016, 02:38 PM)VamP Wrote:  Hi to all,

Need some addvice on servers, I hope you can help. Ferst of all I need to build a Home server with at least 150TB storage to store all those CD's/DVD's, Photos, written Doc's and to store vids for youtube. I'm need the server to be able to talk to all devices like smart phone, Tablets, PC and laptop so which is the best OS? FreeNas or windows or other??

Do you think this HP PROLIANT DL380 G6 RACK SERVER, 2x X5550 8 Cores/16 Logical CPUs, 72GB RAM, 2X146 SAS, Dual PSU will do the job? if not what do you all recomend?

I have built PC's befor but never a server so this will be my next project I hope you can help I also need help with which is the best to do ribbon saving or other? Due to possibal hard drive failer and a llitel more info on Raid please.

Big TY
From STE  

vamP:

It looks like your proposed solution for a server is Good, But I would be interested to know what your connection speed is, and whether or not your connection is a home class connection or a business class connection. Most companies frown on someone running a server without having business class internet, and some companies BLOCK ports (25, 80, etc) - The best solution would allow you to be able to take full advantage of your download and upload speeds, while making sure that you are not overtaxing your bandwidth.

If you plan on doing videos for youtube, using the server as a way to render them, you may need the additional speed that a higher class connection can offer - Also, business class connections do not have the restrictions of blocked ports, like the home class of internet services do. You may find that if you have several machines on your LAN, that the process of doing anything with that server (Running Residential Service) could slow down others on the network.

I would, however, check with your ISP to find out if there would be an additional cost associated with this, as you would not want to be placed in a situation where you are throttled, then find out you are exceeding bandwidth and being charged accordingly. Others on here would probably be able to determine if this rack server would be a good fit, but as far as I see it, it looks good: As far as OS goes, do you have a particular familiarity or preference with Windows, Linux or FreNAS? Do you need programs running that require either Windows or Linux?

Good Luck Smile

Brian
Brian S. Baker
Linux Enthusiast /Computer Consultant At Large/ "The Wizkid"
System Admin: buddy-baker.us
buddy-baker.us