Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 10 upgrade Disaster/ please help
I own a HP laptop that's running Windows 7.  While attempting to upgrade to Windows 10 , I've run into a huge problem.  The first thing I did was download the media installation tool from microsoft.  I then downloaded an ISO image to my computer and then burned it onto a dvd.    I then altered the boot sequence to read the dvd disk.
My first attempt was to perform a clean installation with the iso disk.  But only a few steps in, I wasn't permitted to install windows 10 onto the harddrive.  This was the message that came up:  

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk.  The selected disk is of the GPT  partition style.  Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space.   The partition is an EFI system partition (ESP)  
                                                       TOTAL SIZE        FREE SPACE               TYPE
DRIVE 0        PARTITION 1        650 MB                  633MB                    RECOVERY

0                               2          260MB                  245MB                   SYSTEM

0                               3           128MB                  128MB                  MSR (RESERVED)

0                               4           437MB                 436.9MB              PRIMARY

0                               5            27.7MB              27.7MB                 OEM(RESERVED)

2) The partitions on the disk selected for installation are not in the reccomended order.  For additional information about installing to GPT disks, go to the  microsoft.com website and search for "GPT".  

3)  We couldn't install Windows in the location you chose.  Please check your media drive.  Here's more information about what happened.       0x8030002c

At another point, I received this message:

4)  A required  cd/dvd drive device driver is missing;   No device drivers were found.   Make sure that the media contains the correct drives and then click ok.

*******Then I tried to abort and go back to the "upgrade" rather that the clean install method.   Then I received these messages:

The computer started using the windows installation media.  Remove the installation media and restart your computer so that windows starts normally.    Then insert the installation media and restart the upgrade.  (Do not select "custom/advanced" to perform an upgrade.   Custom/advanced installs a new copy of windows and deletes your programs and settings.

*****************So upon attemting to exit,  I received this message:  "To install windows, you must run windows installation.   If you cancel the installation, your computer migjht restart..   Are you sure you want to cancel windows installation?  Yes?  No?

Lastly, I tried taking out the disk and restarting the computer;  And then reinserting the disk and choosing "upgrade".  But the computer doesn't boot properly.  It asks me to press any  key to boot  from a cd/dvd whether one is inserted or not.

Microsoft's online information doesn't help.
So now,  I can't change the boot order back to its original sequence so that I can go back to windows 7  and I can't upgrade to windows 10 or perform a clean installation to windows 10.

Can anyone please, please , please help me?

ok what is the model number of the computer?
the First thing you should do set bios back to factory settings

(07-19-2016, 11:32 PM)Compton Wrote:  ok what is the model number of the computer?
the First thing you should do set bios back to factory  settings

It's an HP laptop 250 G4
Before I attempted to install the iso windows 10 disk, I changed the start up sequence so the pc would boot from the disk; But now I can't get back to that screen because it doesn't boot up in the normal fashion. It keeps prompting me to press any key to boot from the disk; But this is a dead end. I can't change the boot setting.

I was able to change the boot sequence again by pressing shift + f9 but I still have the following problem:
"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style. Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. The partition is an EFI system partition (ESP)

I watched the video and will try the fix. But before I begin, I just wanted to make sure of a few things 1. Which method is more likely to succeed, wiping the disk clean and letting the pc convert to GPT or converting to GPT as I install? 2. Both will wipe the hard drive but the 2nd method will just leave the partitions intact? 3. If I wipe the hd clean, the pc will generate five new partitions or do I have to format it myself? 4. Since I'm trying to obtain the free Windows 10 upgrade before the deadline, do I input my Windows 7 product key # when asked for instead of the windows 10 product key? 5. Lastly, would I have run into this problem if I just downloaded the file right to my computer instead of making the disk and attempting a clean installation?

Thank you very much.

Also, which boot command should the pc be set to? a) Internal cd/dvd rom drive (UEFI) b) Boot from EFI file c) Notebook hard drive st500lt0 etc etc, d) or Internal cd/dvd rom drive?

ok let take this one step at a time

question 1 I would delete and clean all partition

question 2 if delete and clean will it generate 5 new partitions
no lets say you have 500GB hard drive it will create one big 500GB partition you will have to shrink 500GB partition to create a next partition but you could install windows on one big partition

question 3 I input my Windows 7 product key # when asked for instead of the windows 10
are you entering windows 7 product key # into windows 10?

Lastly, which boot command should the pc be set to? a) Internal cd/dvd rom drive (UEFI) b) Boot from EFI file c) Notebook hard drive st500lt0 etc etc, d) or Internal cd/dvd rom drive?

Thank you.

I would think its set up right already because you are booting from a DVD/CD

Now as I am ready to proceed I get a different message; Instead of the GPT message it now says: " The partitions on the disk selected for installation are not in the recommended order. Do you want to proceed with the installation?"

What do I do?