Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could not find this item. This is no longer located in computer. Verify item etc.
I'm having a problem manually backing up a folder that contains many smaller folders, files, documents, photos etc to an external hard drive. Things got convoluted and complicated when during the initial copying attempt, my computer accidently shut down.  From that point on, the situation snowballed after I trashed the first copy folder attempt.  Long story short, I've made numerous copies, attempted to drag them manually to the external hard drive (E),  wasn't able to do it, renamed them and then dragged them back to the desktop and now I have a problem I can't sovle.

For the sake of simplicity,  I have 2 folders named "BackUp files".  One is on my C drive and the other is on my E drive (external hard drive).  They're both the exact same size,  and have the exact number of folders and files in them.

I'm attempting to copy the one on my desktop to the external hard drive as insurance because even though they both open,  I don't know which one may be tainted.  (I really don't want to lose this information.)     For example,  I can't drag the folder on my desktop to the E (external) drive because I get the following message:  "COULD NOT FIND THIS ITEM.   THIS IS NO LONGER LOCATED IN THE COMPUTER.  VERIFY THE ITEM LOCATION AND TRY AGAIN.

How can I resolve this  problem?

what happen there your data got corrupted also your external hard drive because your computer shut off

run chkdsk /external hard drive letter

make you sure you open command as Admin

In my desperation to correct the situation, I've created a real mess. I started out having the original folder on my desktop and I was trying to copy it to the external hard drive as a back up; Every month or so, I swap the folder on the desk top with the folder on the external hard drive. This is how I manually back up.

When the message appeared: "the folder wasn't on the computer etc....", I then dragged it to the c drive. So now there are actually 3 folders.

I did alot of renaming and dragging; I now realize that the folder on the external hard drive is "bigger" than the other two ( c drive and desktop) . The one on the external hard drive is the one I want to keep. But just to be sure that I can drag it back after I upgrade to Windows 10, I attempted to drag it back to the desktop now but I still get the original "Could not find this item. This is no longer located in computer. Verify the item location and try again." message. I don't know how to ensure that I'll be able to drag the the folder I want to keep (E) back to the desktop after I upgrade to Windows 10.

Lastly, if this isn't confusing enough the folder on the c drive has a different name than the other two.

I can understand the problem. Look, if you're able to open and use the files directly from the external hard drive, then everything should be okay

I guess the C drive may have some errors which is causing the problem. I would therefore ask you to run chkdsk /r c: in an elevated command prompt, which will check the C drive for errors and attempt to repair them

You will be asked to schedule the chkdsk when the system restarts next. Type y for yes and then as you restart the system, the process will begin

There are also diagnostic tools available that can check if the hard drive is faulty. Seagate calls it SeaTools for Windows and Western Digital calls it Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows

Check the screenshots below

Run the appropriate tool depending on your hard drive manufacturer. It will check and let you know if the hard drive is indeed faulty. If it does detect problems with the drive that cannot be fixed, I would suggest you to replace the drive

If however the problems are fixed, just go ahead and upgrade the OS. Everything should be fine

sounds like both windows 10 and your external hard drivel  is corrupted

run sfc /scannow command prompt a Admin

[Image: malwarebytes-icon.png] Scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
  • Install the progam and select update.
  • Once updated, click the Settings tab, in the left panel choose Detctions & protection and tick Scan for rootkits.
  • Click the Scan tab, choose Threat Scan is checked and click Scan Now.
  • If threats are detected, click the Apply Actions button. You will now be prompted to reboot. Click Yes.
  • Upon completion of the scan (or after the reboot), click the History tab.
  • Click Application Logs and double-click the Scan Log.
  • At the bottom click Export and choose Text file.
Save the file to your desktop and include its content in your next reply.

I'm using Windows 7; I was attempting a final backup before upgrading to Windows 10.

ok still run the scan sfc /scannow and malwarebytes

Check disk on the c drive said the volume was clean.

(07-27-2016, 01:52 PM)dusabrive Wrote:  Check disk on the c drive said the volume was clean.

Run the diagnostic tool depending on the manufacturer like I said, to check the health of the C drive and let us know the results.. also, run sfc /scannow