Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 10 error No boot device available
Good Day Everyone,

Having an issue with a Windows 10 machine.. Will not boot into windows. Stays at the window screen with the twirling dots at the bottom. Tried many fixes to no avail.

Now I am getting a No boot device available click F1 or F2. Looked at everything in the bios and no issues.

I am willing to do a re-install of windows 10 which was an upgrade from windows 7, however, each time I launch from the disk it goes into the repair mode.. I have tried all the options in repair mode and advance mode and nothing.. I have scanned the disks, with no errors etc.

What I wish to do now is re-install windows 10. Will I have to load windows 7 then do the upgrade? I have rebooted, unplugged etc. and still loads the iso win 10 to the repair mode and not the installation mode.

Any help as always, is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike,

First of all, when you looked in your bios did it detect your hard drive? If it did, that means the hardware is still operational!

Secondly,

You will not have to reinstall Windows 7 and Upgrade, you can do a clean install Windows 10 and it will activate. Microsoft says once you upgrade you don't have go back to your old OS, You have windows activated for life and can reinstall windows. Keep in mind this will only work if you have same hardware when you upgraded to windows 10 from Windows 7.
Please download a fresh ISO of Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool and then create a bootable usb using Rufus

Once you have booted your installation disc, please do the following before installing windows:
Press Shift and F10 to open up the command prompt
then type wmic
finally type diskdrive get status

If the status is OK, proceed with the installation, if it is failing, report back to us!

Hope this helps

RECdevicehelper

(10-16-2016, 07:31 PM)RECdevicehelper Wrote:  Hi Mike,

First of all, when you looked in your bios did it detect your hard drive? If it did, that means the hardware is still operational!

Secondly,

You will not have to reinstall Windows 7 and Upgrade, you can do a clean install Windows 10 and it will activate. Microsoft says once you upgrade you don't have go back to your old OS, You have windows activated for life and can reinstall windows. Keep in mind this will only work if you have same hardware when you upgraded to windows 10 from Windows 7.
Please download a fresh ISO of Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool and then create a bootable usb using Rufus

Once you have booted your installation disc, please do the following before installing windows:
then type wmic

If the status is OK, proceed with the installation, if it is failing, report back to us!

Hope this helps

RECdevicehelper

Thanks for the prompt response.

The status is all OK..

I have a 3 Dell windows 10 installation disks. Do I still need the Media creation Tool?

Thanks

Mike

it sounds like a failing hard drive if you have docking station you take hard drive and test it that way

(10-16-2016, 07:57 PM)Mike12 Wrote:  
(10-16-2016, 07:31 PM)RECdevicehelper Wrote:  Hi Mike,

Secondly,

then type wmic

Hope this helps

RECdevicehelper

Thanks for the prompt response.

The status is all OK..

I have a 3 Dell windows 10 installation disks.  Do I still need the Media creation Tool?

Thanks

Mike
I would suggest you still use the media creation tool because the ISO has the latest Windows 10 Updates (Aniversary update) and the discs probably has the old windows 10 version.
It is always important to be on the latest version of windows 10 because it includes lots of fixes!

(10-16-2016, 08:02 PM)Compton Wrote:  it sounds like a failing hard drive if you have docking station you take hard drive and test it that way

Compton, Mike has already found out that his hard drive is not failing by using the command prompt

how did you test the hard drive using the command prompt?

(10-16-2016, 08:32 PM)Compton Wrote:  how did you test the hard drive using the command prompt?
This is what he did:
RECdevichelper Wrote:Press Shift and F10 to open up the command prompt
then type wmic

the  prompt wmic will  test the hard drive

but I don't think that alone will telll you if a hard drive is bad
in any case if windows do reinstall

How to Test Your Hard Drive Using SeaTools for Windows

how to check your hard drive health status with crystal disk info

(10-16-2016, 08:46 PM)Compton Wrote:  the  prompt wmic will  test the hard drive

but I don't think that alone will you  if a hard drive failing or not
in any case if windows do reinstall

How to Test Your Hard Drive Using SeaTools for Windows

how to check your hard drive health status with crystal disk info
Compton, don't forgot his system is unbootable, so these tutorials won't work for him

ya i know but in any case he's probably reinstalling windows