Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's all relative
(12-07-2016, 04:51 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  ... and would light also be affected?

I didn't understand this part... affected by what??

Why is it that, even though the Earth spins at 1,040mph...Why don't we fly off?

or..

If the Earth is spinning that fast...Why does it take the same amount of time to fly from New York to California "both ways"??

It's Relative... Big Grin
L.S. Computer Systems
807 East Broadway
Hopewell, VA. 23860, USA
+1 (804) 715-8185
https://www.lscomputersystems.com

(12-08-2016, 02:46 AM)LarryTheComputerGuy Wrote:  Why is it that, even though the Earth spins at 1,040mph...Why don't we fly off?

or..

If the Earth is spinning that fast...Why does it take the same amount of time to fly from New York to California "both ways"??

It's Relative... Big Grin

I believe you meant to ask why we do not feel the Earth's spin. If that's what you meant to ask, then just imagine riding in a car or on a train.

The reality is that you are moving along with the vehicle even though you don't feel that you are actually moving

No, I was just being silly and the answer is.... "It's Relative"
L.S. Computer Systems
807 East Broadway
Hopewell, VA. 23860, USA
+1 (804) 715-8185
https://www.lscomputersystems.com

(12-08-2016, 03:12 AM)LarryTheComputerGuy Wrote:  No, I was just being silly and the answer is.... "It's Relative"

I see.

Check this out

(12-08-2016, 01:36 AM)Partha Wrote:  
(12-07-2016, 04:51 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  ... and would light also be affected?

I didn't understand this part... affected by what??

Light should be affected by Gravitational force right? so if light travels from Point A (the Sun) to Point B (Earths outer orbit) it should be travelling at lightspeed, so when light enters the inner orbit surely it would also slow down thereby no longer moving at lightspeed.

(12-08-2016, 03:30 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  Light should be affected by Gravitational force right? so if light travels from Point A (the Sun) to Point B (Earths outer orbit) it should be travelling at lightspeed, so when light enters the inner orbit surely it would also slow down thereby no longer moving at lightspeed.

Light's path does get affected by gravity. It follows the path of the curve in spacetime, caused by celestial objects like stars and planets

Light's speed is a constant in vacuum, which is simply empty space with absolutely no matter

It does slow down however when travelling through a different medium like air, due to the presence of atoms in air

(12-09-2016, 11:06 PM)Partha Wrote:  
(12-08-2016, 03:30 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  Light should be affected by Gravitational force right? so if light travels from Point A (the Sun) to Point B (Earths outer orbit) it should be travelling at lightspeed, so when light enters the inner orbit surely it would also slow down thereby no longer moving at lightspeed.

Light's path does get affected by gravity. It follows the path of the curve in spacetime, caused by celestial objects like stars and planets

Light's speed is a constant in vacuum, which is simply empty space with absolutely no matter

It does slow down however when travelling through a different medium like air, due to the presence of atoms in air

I see. Does this include light travelling through a prism?

(12-16-2016, 07:13 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  I see. Does this include light travelling through a prism?
It does. The speed of light in any other medium will be relatively slower than in vacuum. It's important to realize that light travels at the same speed regardless of the medium but because of the atoms in its way, it gets slower

Then why the hell am I paying out for those slow light energy saving bulbs? Bloody Government guidelines Tongue

Scamming sods.