Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the proper way to partition and install windows on any PC hard drive/SSD
Hi guys,

I'm just wondering, what is the best way to partition and install windows. Now I know there are a lot of ways to do this. You can let windows automatically create the partitions and install the OS or you can create partitions yourself and tell windows which partition to install windows onto to.

Every time I install windows, I am always confused about how to partition and install windows correctly, what is correct way to partition and install windows.

Thanks

RECdevicehelper

I always let Windows create the partitions. "Unless"....I am going to put a backup partition on the machine, or dual boot.
L.S. Computer Systems
807 East Broadway
Hopewell, VA. 23860, USA
+1 (804) 715-8185
https://www.lscomputersystems.com

(12-13-2016, 02:02 AM)LarryTheComputerGuy Wrote:  I always let Windows create the partitions. "Unless"....I am going to put a backup partition on the machine, or dual boot.
So I select the drive which is the unallocated space and click next to install windows

you have no best way in doing it depends on the situation
and how you would like to partitions the hard drive

(12-13-2016, 07:36 AM)RECdevicehelper Wrote:  
(12-13-2016, 02:02 AM)LarryTheComputerGuy Wrote:  I always let Windows create the partitions. "Unless"....I am going to put a backup partition on the machine, or dual boot.
So I select the drive which is the unallocated space and click next to install windows

A regular install on a system with one Hard drive....Yes
L.S. Computer Systems
807 East Broadway
Hopewell, VA. 23860, USA
+1 (804) 715-8185

(12-13-2016, 09:09 PM)LarryTheComputerGuy Wrote:  
(12-13-2016, 07:36 AM)RECdevicehelper Wrote:  

A regular install on a system with one Hard drive....Yes
Okay what about a system with a ssd and hdd?

Photo 
Example:

Your installing Windows on an SSD that's 256GB and the second drive "HDD" is 500GB

it should read like this:

Drive 0 Unallocated Space             256 GB     256 GB (SSD)
Drive 1 Unallocated Space             500 GB     500 GB (HDD)

Select the unallocated space on drive 0

However, If it reads like this:

Drive 0 Unallocated Space             500 GB     500 GB (HDD)
Drive 1 Unallocated Space             256 GB     256 GB (SSD)

Your SATA connections need to be switched on the motherboard so that the SSD is connected to the first SATA port on the motherboard. You always want to install Windows on drive 0 because it may not assign "C" to the boot drive.

Newer motherboards have 6gb and 3gb SATA ports...You always want to connect your drives to a 6GB SATA port.
L.S. Computer Systems
807 East Broadway
Hopewell, VA. 23860, USA
+1 (804) 715-8185

(12-14-2016, 05:12 AM)LarryTheComputerGuy Wrote:  Example:

Your installing Windows on an SSD that's 256GB and the second drive "HDD" is 500GB

it should read like this:

Drive 0 Unallocated Space             256 GB     256 GB (SSD)
Drive 1 Unallocated Space             500 GB     500 GB (HDD)

Select the unallocated space on drive 0

However, If it reads like this:

Drive 0 Unallocated Space             500 GB     500 GB (HDD)
Drive 1 Unallocated Space             256 GB     256 GB (SSD)

Your SATA connections need to be switched on the motherboard so that the SSD is connected to the first SATA port on the motherboard. You always want to install Windows on drive 0 because it may not assign "C" to the boot drive.

Newer motherboards have 6gb and 3gb SATA ports...You always want to connect your drives to a 6GB SATA port.
OK, so you select the unallocated space on drive 0 (SSD) and click next to install. Windows will automatically create partitions and install windows.
I tried this method from LinusTechTips on 'How To: Optimize your SSD+HDD setup'

Is this a good method to install windows on a ssd?

Also for my personal system, my new Samsung 500GB 850 EVO 2.5 SSD was installed in my sata 3 port, this is shown as drive 2
I installed windows on drive 2 before realising that you had to change the drive to the first sata port. It did, however, assign C as the boot drive. So I am happy how the system is running, do I need to change the sata port or can keep it the same?

- Yes, That is a good way to set it up.

- If it's running fine, I would leave it the way it is without changing the SATA cables.

Brian did a video on optimizing your SSD

L.S. Computer Systems
807 East Broadway
Hopewell, VA. 23860, USA
+1 (804) 715-8185

OK thanks LarryTheComputerGuy, you have solved questions, thread closed