Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winlogon.exe showing in Process Explorer as error opening process
Photo 
Process explorer is detailing my winlogo.exe dwm.exe and fontdrvhost.exe as not being able to open. I'm concerned that due to the PE not showing any view-able activity on said files that they maybe an infection? My logon take more than 90 seconds to open.

Thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Perform SFC scan

Click 'Start' > Type cmd in the search field > Right-click the command prompt at the top of the list and select 'Run as Administrator'
Inside the command prompt, type sfc /scannow > Press 'Enter'
4. Reboot and test.

(01-02-2017, 01:04 PM)Compton Wrote:  Perform SFC scan

Click 'Start' > Type cmd in the search field > Right-click the command prompt at the top of the list and select 'Run as Administrator'
Inside the command prompt, type sfc /scannow > Press 'Enter'
4. Reboot and test.

I'm sending you the actual created reply after the scannow process. And the CBS.LOG file
They are telling me there is corruption that cannot be resolved through scannow.

.zip   CBS.zip (Size: 543.03 KB / Downloads: 1)

run the following commands one at a time in command prompt as admin

Code:
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Dism /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

(01-02-2017, 04:43 PM)Compton Wrote:  run the following commands one at a time in command prompt as admin

Code:
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Dism /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

After doing the commands one at a time this was the comment made regarding the last of the three

dism logs sent

.zip   dism.zip (Size: 20.32 KB / Downloads: 0)

ah, that issue,
'The source files could no be found.
Use the "Source" Option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature'.

I had that issue a long time ago. To resolve the issue, I performed a clean install of windows. But I would suggest you perform a repair install first, if that doesn't work, perform a clean install of windows.
Here is a video created by Britec on how to perform a repair install. Make sure you disable your antivirus and firewall to prevent any issues with the installation (Learn't that the hard way Sad )
Also backup your files before doing to prevent data loss. You shouldn't lose data from this method, but it is always a good idea to backup them up just encase.

(01-02-2017, 06:11 PM)RECdevicehelper Wrote:  ah, that issue,
Use the "Source" Option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature'.

I had that issue a long time ago. To resolve the issue, I performed a clean install of windows. But I would suggest you perform a repair install first, if that doesn't work, perform a clean install of windows.
Here is a video created by Britec on how to perform a repair install. Make sure you disable your antivirus and firewall to prevent any issues with the installation (Learn't that the hard way Sad )
Also backup your files before doing to prevent data loss. You shouldn't lose data from this method, but it is always a good idea to backup them up just encase.

This advice worked perfectly. PE now said files now where they belong! Thanks!

(01-03-2017, 04:25 PM)PhilipMoore1953 Wrote:  
(01-02-2017, 06:11 PM)RECdevicehelper Wrote:  ah, that issue,

This advice worked perfectly. PE now said files now where they belong! Thanks!
Happy to help! Glad you got it sorted! Problem solved - Thread Closed