Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WSUS WOUTemp User Account
Win7 x64 Pro
Toshiba Sat

Hi all, so i have been using WSUS for a few years now. I recently used latest version 10.8.1 as of Dec 2016 on client laptop. Installed updates and all ok. But when re-booted i was confronted by WOUTemp Account login. Tried all i know to remove the account but it keeps coming back. Hard to find solution on this,

Any help appreciated
Tony

That account is only a temporary one, it is modified to install windows updates, I would leave it, it will be deleted after all the updates are finished installed

Welcome to the forums Tony West. This can happen sometimes when WSUS fails to auto launch after the "reboot and recall" is executed. Try manually running the WSUS client update installer again and be sure to have "auto reboot and recall" checked. This will allow the updater to finish installing updates and automatically delete the WOUT temp account.

If that does not work log out of the WOUT account and log into your admin account then manually delete the WOUT temp account.
Tim's Computer Repair (TCR) 
1503 Kings Way, Savannah, GA 31406, US
912-220-0765
https://www.TimsComputerFix.net 

I have move this thread to general discussion

(01-03-2017, 03:53 PM)Timster Wrote:  Welcome to the forums Tony West. This can happen sometimes when WSUS fails to auto launch after the "reboot and recall" is executed. Try manually running the WSUS client update installer again and be sure to have "auto reboot and recall" checked. This will allow the updater to finish installing updates and automatically delete the WOUT temp account.

If that does not work log out of the WOUT account and log into your admin account then manually delete the WOUT temp account.
Thanks Timster, and sorry for late reply, been abusy week! So i removed WSUS after updates had completed. Computer did restart but still randomly getting woutemp account at start, but not every boot. Very annoying. Removed woutemp account also removed from registry. Still appearing randomly at boot. Should i re-download WSUS and run again maybe, never had this problem before lol.

Thanks in advance

Regards

WSUS itself is not anything you install. Run WSUS again and select all of the options you want and include the checkbox "reboot and recall" then let WSUS complete the updates. When done WSUS removes the temp account. You make sure you run WSUS several times to be sure it populated all of the updates. Also make sure your WSUS is up to date.
912-220-0765

(01-07-2017, 05:27 PM)Timster Wrote:  WSUS itself is not anything you install. Run WSUS again and select all of the options you want and include the checkbox "reboot and recall" then let WSUS complete the updates. When done WSUS removes the temp account. You make sure you run WSUS several times to be sure it populated all of the updates. Also make sure your WSUS is up to date.
Thank you again Timster for your reply. So yesterday i downloaded latest version of WSUS and re-ran updates with 'reboot and recall' as i had previously done in last version. Updates were successfull and the program said it had finished. Happy days. However, every third or fourth cold boot, i still get the dreaded WOUTempAdmin account at login.??? So again i deleted the account, searched registry for remnants, but still it randomly shows up at login! Is there a specific process to remove WSUS and WOUTemp Admin from system because im pulling my hair out and so is my client Wink
KInd Regards

Please try this solution to your problem
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/6619/beginner-geek-delete-user-accounts-in-windows-7/

What Antivirus are you running?

Also please run sfc /scannow:

Perform SFC scan

Click 'Start' > Type cmd in the search field > Right-click the command prompt at the top of the list and select 'Run as Administrator'
Inside the command prompt, type sfc /scannow > Press 'Enter'
4. Reboot and test.

Try manually running the "CleanupRecall.cmd" script.

You should find it in <your_wsus_offline_dir>\client\cmd directory where <your_wsus_offline_dir> is the directory where you extracted the archive to.

Hope this helps
912-220-0765

(01-03-2017, 03:53 PM)Timster Wrote:  Welcome to the forums Tony West. This can happen sometimes when WSUS fails to auto launch after the "reboot and recall" is executed. Try manually running the WSUS client update installer again and be sure to have "auto reboot and recall" checked. This will allow the updater to finish installing updates and automatically delete the WOUT temp account.

Thank you Timster,

I found this guide on an old thread at WSUS forums, for removing the WOUTemp account if your having this unfortunate problem, and it worked for me!

So if you've used WSUS and it's left behind the WOUTemp account and you can't get rid of it this guide may help someone,

Here it is, and thanks to the Admin on the WSUS forum:

To "clean up" your OS do the following:
- Cancel running update scripts using <Ctrl>+C;
- Execute the "CleanupRecall.cmd" script in the "cmd" directory, then reboot.

If it still won't work, follow this guide:
- Log off the "WSUSAdmin" account. While doing this, hold the <Shift> key to prevent automatic login and show the Logon screen instead.
- Log on the "Administrator" account (or an account with administrative rights).
- Check for the existence of a file named "%SystemRoot%\wsusbak-winlogon.reg".
- If the file exists, start the registry editor ([Start - Run...] regedit) and delete the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon". Then merge the backed up values back into the registry by double-clicking the "%SystemRoot%\wsusbak-winlogon.reg" file and confirming the prompt. Then you can delete that file.
- If the file doesn't exist, start the registry editor ([Start - Run...] regedit) and modify some values of the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" as follows:
- DefaultUserName: Administrator (or another user account of your choice)
- DefaultPassword: Delete value
- AutoAdminLogon: Delete value
- ForceAutoLogon: Delete value
- Delete the "WOUTempAdmin" account using the "User accounts" Control Panel item.
- Delete the user profile files if they still exist (XP: C:\Documents and Settings, Vista/7: C:\Users). You may have to force removal of this file, even with Admin privilages.

Regards!