Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Overheating Acer Laptop.
Good day all; I'm a first time poster, long time lurker on this forum. I've a serious problem that hopefully someone on here can help me with.

I've been using an Acer laptop (shamefully Sad ) ever since my MSI laptop gave out on me about a year and a half ago. The specs for my laptop are:

Model: Aspire 5742G,
Processor: i5 CPU M460@2.53GHz 2.53GHz,
Memory: 4.00 GB (3.68GB usable),
System Type: 64-bit and I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium.

I'm a graphic designer and I use this laptop to edit pictures and to create 3D imagery. I have't had any issues with the machine since I've had it, until recently where it shuts down whenever I try to render still 3D images from cinema 4D R16. Once told to render, it makes a really loud noise which to me tells me that it's over working and then halfway through the render it shuts down. The laptop also gets extremely HOT during this period. I've watched numerous videos online and have seen comments cautioning people against those methods as they are said to be the road to death for your machine. I was wondering what is the right way to go about to clearing my debris from my venting areas correctly?

I thank you all in advance for your responses.

ok first off you should not be Using a laptop to do rendering its

not powerful enough you should be using a desktop for that kind work

when did you bought the laptop

Hello MightyZeus and welcome to the forums. You need to completely disassemble the laptop until you have a full visual of the fan and fan shroud. From that point you will want to blow compressed air through the entire shroud both ways until you see no more debris blowing around making sure no clumps of dust are wedged anywhere in the cooling system. I would recommend compressed air in a can. Keep one finger on the fan to keep it from spinning rapidly as you blow the compressed air. You could also take it a step further while you are there and replace the thermal compound on the cpu.

[Image: heatsink-clogged-with-dust-500x270.jpg]
Tim's Computer Repair (TCR) 
1503 Kings Way, Savannah, GA 31406, US
912-220-0765
https://www.TimsComputerFix.net 

(01-27-2017, 01:14 PM)Compton Wrote:  ok first off you should not be Using a laptop to do rendering its

not powerful enough you should be using a desktop for that kind work

when did you bought the laptop

Thanks you for the reply. I bought the laptop a about 2 and a half years ago. I'm merely trying to render an image that I rendered about a year ago, only this time I want to render it to different dimensions as when I try to do so in Photoshop it pixelates. When I rendered the very same image a year ago, this very same laptop did so without any problems. That is why I suspected debris interference. I cn only render still images and no animations on this laptop. Again I appreciate the feedback.

(01-27-2017, 03:16 PM)Timster Wrote:  Hello MightyZeus and welcome to the forums. You need to completely disassemble the laptop until you have a full visual of the fan and fan shroud. From that point you will want to blow compressed air through the entire shroud both ways until you see no more debris blowing around making sure no clumps of dust are wedged anywhere in the cooling system.  I would recommend compressed air in a can. Keep one finger on the fan to keep it from spinning rapidly as you blow the compressed air. You could also take it a step further while you are there and replace the thermal compound on the cpu.

[Image: heatsink-clogged-with-dust-500x270.jpg]

YES!!! This is the reply I was waiting on. The only problem I have now is that I don't know how open my laptop up and I fear that I might ruin it while trying to do. Will me using a vacuum or hair dryer suffice instead of compressed air? I will look up tuts o Youtube so that I can dismantle my laptop model. I appreciate the feedback more than you'll know good sir! Thank You!!!!

There are several guides on that model laptop here. Just take your time and remember the golden rule. You should never have to force anything while disassembling.

I would highly recommend canned compressed air with the little straw. You can concentrate small blasts of air right into the shroud.

Also do not think that you can blast the debris out of the laptop by sticking the straw through the vents of the laptop. All you will do there is push the debris further up into the shroud and could make your problem worse. You must take the laptop apart until you have a clear view of the fan and shroud.

If you need moral support we are here! Big Grin
912-220-0765

(01-27-2017, 07:34 PM)Timster Wrote:  There are several guides on that model laptop here. Just take your time and remember the golden rule. You should never have to force anything while disassembling.

I would highly recommend canned compressed air with the little straw. You can concentrate small blasts of air right into the shroud.

Also do not think that you can blast the debris out of the laptop by sticking the straw through the vents of the laptop. All you will do there is push the debris further up into the shroud and could make your problem worse. You must take the laptop apart until you have a clear view of the fan and shroud.

If you need moral support we are here!  Big Grin

I can't thank you enough good sir. I found gold when I found this forum the Youtube channel.

Glad you found us. Good luck!
912-220-0765

With any laptop you need to be sure the dust is cleaned out and also the surface the laptop is seated is allowing the vents to be uncovered at. the vents are what lets the heat out and helps keep the laptop cool.