Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Repair Install / Upgrade and the next update
As I have a clutch of issues which I have made little progress with, despite generous help on forums, I am considering a Repair Install (using USB) which I understand will keep almost everything. l have read the article / watched the video on this forum. As this will be a new procedure for me I would appreciate advice on the following points. Are (at least some of) the issues listed below likely to be corrected, and would it be better for me to wait until after the Creators Update (if practical) or to get it done before the update?

1. Sign-in options in Settings cannot be opened to allow PIN (which vanished a while ago)
2. Cannot download or update any apps in the Store (may be related to not being able to activate Windows Firewall temporarily in place of Norton firewall?) --- 40 now in Queue or Pending
3. Unable to remove Test Mode despite successful use of the correct bcedit commands
4. Unable to download / stream rented films to Itunes Player (despite help from their techs)
5. Not able to create new folders in the desktop or File Manager
6. DISM --- cannot find source file (sfc/scannow does not find any errors)
7. Links from Mail do not work
8. Frequent loss of internet (both Ethernet & Wireless)

If Dism can't find sourced files, is to do a repair install, this is the only way to fix it. Also a repair install will fix all those other issues you displayed Smile

Hey clayto,

Yeah, this would be a good way to go in this case, you don't have to wait for the Creators Update. Here is the step by step video from Brian.

Note: Download a fresh copy of the Media Creation Tool first, then follow Brian's video.

Link to the Media Creation tool...
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Good luck, and let us know how it goes...
L.S. Computer Systems
807 East Broadway
Hopewell, VA. 23860, USA
+1 (804) 715-8185
https://www.lscomputersystems.com

Open an elevated cmd prompt and type;
Quote:Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

This should tell you if you have a image corruption.

If you have an ISO of the OS you can use the .wim file in the Sources folder.
Quote:Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:your file path goes here

If you have an .esd file instead you can replace the Source;
Quote:Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:esd:your file path goes here

(02-26-2017, 08:49 PM)LarryTheComputerGuy Wrote:  Hey clayto,

Yeah, this would be a good way to go in this case, you don't have to wait for the Creators Update. Here is the step by step video from Brian.

Note: Download a fresh copy of the Media Creation Tool first, then follow Brian's video.

Link to the Media Creation tool...
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Good luck, and let us know how it goes...

(02-27-2017, 12:04 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  Open an elevated cmd prompt and type;

Quote:Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

This should tell you if you have a image corruption.

If you have an ISO of the OS you can use the .wim file in the Sources folder.

Quote:Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:your file path goes here

If you have an .esd file instead you can replace the Source;

Quote:Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:esd:your file path goes here