Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
H170 CMOS Question
The dude that installed my OS didn't set the date in the BIOS.So,the date of the BIOS install says March 18th.I am guessing that is why AI Suite 3 and EZ Update will not flash BIOS.He didn't set the date on the desktop either which I had to.That wouldn't have been such a big deal if I had noticed it immediately.IE kept popping up Certificate errors until I set the right date etc.My question is will clearing CMOS JUST make it possible to reset the date or does that delete the BIOS version entirely and you have to reinstall.I have never done this so......please help.Also If I wait until the 19th will it essentially fix itself when the dates line up?I get really nervous messing with high dollar electronics.I am NOT a puter tech guy by any stretch of the imagination.Thx for the help.

You can go into your BIOS and manually set your system time and date. After that hit f10 save and exit. That should take care of the time and date thing. You say you want to flash your BIOS. Are you having any trouble with your computer that a BIOS flash will fix? My rule of thumb is to avoid BIOS flashes unless you are having performance issues that a BIOS update will address. While you should be ok proceeding with the update there are small chances that things can go wrong with the flash.
Tim's Computer Repair (TCR) 
1503 Kings Way, Savannah, GA 31406, US
912-220-0765
https://www.TimsComputerFix.net 

(03-05-2016, 01:56 AM)Timster Wrote:  You can go into your BIOS and manually set your system time and date. After that hit f10 save and exit. That should take care of the time and date thing. You say you want to flash your BIOS. Are you having any trouble with your computer that a BIOS flash will fix? My rule of thumb is to avoid BIOS flashes unless you are having performance issues that a BIOS update will address. While you  should be ok proceeding with the update there are small chances that things can go wrong with the flash.

Yep,I don't communicate well.The date IN the BIOS is correct.The date OF the BIOS install is 3\18\2016....which is 2 weeks from now.The EZ Flash and AI Suite 3 will not update BIOS for some reason.I am guessing the date thing.The BIOS update says my internet is not active which is crap.

I am trying to update bios because the BIOS VERSION I have now is 0303 which was created by ASUS in August.The NEW version is 0706 I think(I have is on Flash drive).ASUS says that the updates are to improve stability on their website.

Am I having any computer problems?Uh.....not that I am aware of ....this thing smokes!I AM Autistic which means for ME the updates kinda stick right in the back of my neck.If I REALLY don't need them then the heck with it.But,I figure customers have had stability issues enough to warrant 5 or so BIOS updates from ASUS since August.

I hope I have been more clear(sigh).Damn I hate being broken.

The only issue I had was after installing my Audigy FX SC the system powered on for 2 seconds and then shut off for about 10 seconds....then came back on.I haven't had a prob since.I am guessing a SC recog issue or some crap.It hasn't done it since.

I would like to scan your system for malware

[Image: malwarebytes-icon.png] Scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
  • Install the progam and select update.
  • Once updated, click the Settings tab, in the left panel choose Detctions & protection and tick Scan for rootkits.
  • Click the Scan tab, choose Threat Scan is checked and click Scan Now.
  • If threats are detected, click the Apply Actions button. You will now be prompted to reboot. Click Yes.
  • Upon completion of the scan (or after the reboot), click the History tab.
  • Click Application Logs and double-click the Scan Log.
  • At the bottom click Export and choose Text file.
Save the file to your desktop and include its content in your next reply.

[Image: adwcleaner_new.png] Fix with AdwCleaner

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save the file to your desktop.

Please download [Image: adwcleane.png] AdwCleaner (by Xplode) and save it to your Desktop

• Right-click on AdwCleaner.exe and Run as administrator
  • Click Scan. (AdwCleaner will now scan for Adware.)

• Once scan finishes, click Clean, now follow the on screen prompts.

• Your computer should now reboot.

• A log file will automatically open. Please Copy and Paste when you replay in your next post.

Note: The log can also be found in here: C:\AdwCleaner\

I would just manually set your date and time and be done with it. If you are having no issues with your computer I would not try and fix something that is not broken but this is just me. Like I said, more than likely tour BIOS update will go without a hitch.
Tim's Computer Repair (TCR) 
1503 Kings Way, Savannah, GA 31406, US
912-220-0765
https://www.TimsComputerFix.net 

(03-05-2016, 03:02 PM)Timster Wrote:  I would just manually set your fate and time and be done with it. If you are having no issues with your computer I would not try and fix something that is not broken but this is just me. Like I said, more than likely tour BIOS update will go without a hitch.

Compton....I have had MBAM full version for quite a while.I use Spybot ASW and AV plus CCleaner and have already run AdwCleaner.I keep it on a flash drive because it will auto delete to get you to go back to the website for obvious reasons.Besides the SSD isn't a week old yet and I didn't even hook my network up until all these programs were installed.Just ask me why.I have been PC gaming for 24 years and have screwed up just about anything you CAN screw up.

Timster...As I said the date and time are fine.The tech installed the BIOS without setting the date first so the date of the BIOS install says March 18th.The actual date in the running BIOS is up to date.Damn I hope this makes more sense to you all now.I apologize for not being able to make things clearer.Thx for the help.

Update for Compton...Just for grins I ran both detection programs and got the expected results...No PUPs and no detections.I learned the HARD way how tototally "bellyup" a HD early on so....I tend to go overboard to prevent further idiocy.Thx again.

I also have MWB anti-beacon.....(sigh)