Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Linux distro for a PC with 1 GB RAM?
Which Linux distro would you recommend for a laptop with the specifications as pictured below?

Well, there are a number that could be used. What type of thing would you wish to be using it for?

Linux Lite

I would say peppermint because its web base

https://peppermintos.com/

(03-17-2017, 01:51 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  Well, there are a number that could be used. What type of thing would you wish to be using it for?

The person who would be using it is a senior and would just use it to listen to some music or play movies.

(03-17-2017, 02:44 PM)Jon Gilbert Wrote:  Linux Lite

Thank you. I will check it out.

(03-17-2017, 02:47 PM)Compton Wrote:  I would say peppermint because its web base

https://peppermintos.com/

I see. Thanks, Compton.

Linux Lite should have most of what they need.

PeppermintOS may work but the cloud element may cause hang-ups with Movies and Music depending whether they are YT based or on their HDD.

Others to consider would be (and bare in mind these are basic cores so not much is installed);

Puppy Linux

Slackware

SliTaz

TinyCore (basic) *super small 

wattOS

SparkyLinux *I actually use this one myself under XFCE

Lubuntu

LXLE

Bodhi Linux

Emmabuntus

Quirky *PuppyLinux sister

There are more but hardware specs would have to be cross referenced with each one.

(03-17-2017, 03:22 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  Linux Lite should have most of what they need.

PeppermintOS may work but the cloud element may cause hang-ups with Movies and Music depending whether they are YT based or on their HDD.

Others to consider would be (and bare in mind these are basic cores so not much is installed);

Puppy Linux

Slackware

SliTaz

TinyCore (basic) *super small 

wattOS

SparkyLinux *I actually use this one myself under XFCE

Lubuntu

LXLE

Bodhi Linux

Emmabuntus

Quirky *PuppyLinux sister

There are more but hardware specs would have to be cross referenced with each one.

I understand. Thanks, GuiltySpark

Just wanted to update you fellas that I tried both Linux Lite as well as Linux Peppermint and, it was Peppermint that I liked more. It worked great on the lappy, just as smooth as Lite if not smoother

I loved the design and the user friendliness of Peppermint. Just the rendering of videos online was poor, but Peppermint can't really be blamed for that

Thanks for the update.

(04-01-2017, 09:39 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  Thanks for the update.

No problem.