Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 10 corrupted by Rollback Rx
Hi,

My Windows 10 has been seriously corrupted for the second time by Rollback Rx.  This always happens after a big cumulative Windows 10 update (although Horizon Datasys have informed me that there is now an updated version of Rollback that addresses this issue -- a bit late now the damage has been done!  Angry). I love Rollback and it has saved my bacon so many times, but there seems to be a big downside.  The first time this happened, I had to have a clean install of Windows done and I lost all my programs an other things -- it took me ages and ages to get it all back together.

So, what has gone wrong?  After trying to do what I could to be able to boot into Windows and uninstalling Rollback, and running various troubleshooting  (sfc etc) actions, I am left with the following obvious damage:
  • no left-click start menu (right click works)
  • search box not working
  • no windows key
  • no "action center" (far right of task bar)
  • no expanded clock or calendar
  • inability to play MP3s
  • inability to view photos for more than about 1 second
  • Windows update cannot install the latest updates
  • on boot, I get a series of "files not found" messages about "one drive" DLLs.

I have carried out several actions and they all failed.
  • The "troubleshooting" report says "Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost and Microsoft.Windows.Cortana need to be installed correctly"
  • "sfc /scannow" did not fix everything
  • "DISM" failed with "error 1726"
  • "Get app package" failed with the message "disk image malformed"
  • Couldn't "install update" with error code "0x80073712"

I have studied your video "How to Reinstall Windows 10 Without Losing Data" here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldqFdcGL1X0 and I would like to give it a try. Would it work? But I am also terrified that I might lose my installed programs ranging from Word and Excel to Eudora (yes, Eudora!) and more specialized software with all their settings, mailboxes, bookmarks etc.

Apart from the things mentioned in the first part of this post, everything else seems to work correctly and so it would seem to be things related to Windows 10 system files that are causing the problem.  Can anyone help with some advice?  I am not a computer expert, but have been following a very steep learning curve out of absolute necessity!

I would be very grateful.

John

yes the video should work

(03-28-2017, 04:19 PM)Compton Wrote:  yes the video should work
Thanks for the speedy reply.

What is the risk of making matters worse?

I would say you have very little risk but you should backup all important data first

(03-28-2017, 04:32 PM)Compton Wrote:  I would say you have very little risk but you should backup all important data first
I suppose that a disk image with Macrium Reflect would be a safe option. Theoretically, in the case of a loss of document files, I could copy them over and in the case of a total disaster, I could restore the disk image to get back to my present messed-up state.

Are you sure that my personal programs will not go with the suggested method. I was told by the "professional" guys that did a clean install for me last time, that a clean install was the only way to go this time too... something I could not accept, hence my investigating further for myself and coming across your video and site

yes doing image with Macrium Reflect would be the best option

your personal program would not go it would just replace system files

(03-28-2017, 04:51 PM)Compton Wrote:  yes doing image with  Macrium Reflect would be the best option

your personal program would not go it would just replace system files

Many thanks for your reassurance. I'll let you know how I get on.

This worked fine and I would recommend anyone to do it if they have a messed-up system like I had.

It does take quite a long time, but it did cure all my problems and kept all my files and programs -- all of them!

there were just a few error messages that appeared on boot up, but after searching for, and installing, the most recent windows updates updates, the error messages disappeared (they were warning about dll files not found)

The important thing to note is that during the re-installation process that you MUST see the page:

READY TO INSTALL
INSTALL WINDOWS 10 PRO
KEEP PERSONAL FILES AND APPS

...before you press the "INSTALL" button

Perform SFC scan

Click 'Start' > Type cmd in the search field > Right-click the command prompt at the top of the list and select 'Run as Administrator'
Inside the command prompt, type sfc /scannow > Press 'Enter'
4. Reboot and test.

Compton, he says "This worked fine". He doesn't need sfc!

No Worries mate, we all make mistakes, that what makes us human Smile