Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
External HDD often freeze if no access to it ± 10-15 minutes
Hi my friends ...

More or less last 3 years I have been experiencing very strange incident to my external hdd Seagate 1 TB (FREEZE suddenly) on most of laptops. Well, when I access laptop but not access external hdd at all about 10-15 minutes or without access laptop at all, suddenly freeze when I try accessing it. Any body can help me please.

Thanks before and after. Smile
# Appreciate and respect others first, before others appreciate and respect you. #
# You are polite, we are reluctant. #

Have you run a Virus scan on the drive?

(05-04-2017, 04:11 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  Have you run a Virus scan on the drive?

Hi GuiltySpark,

As usual, I always be carefull every time I want to connect my ext hdd to PCs/laptops. So far so good before last 3 years. My PC use 1 world antivirus (although Avira free but always updated from time to time automatically) and use 1 local antivirus PRO and always updated too. And strangely enough if I connect to certain PCs/laptops, just safe.

Thanks for your response.
# Appreciate and respect others first, before others appreciate and respect you. #

Not entirely sure what you mean by 1 world AV (I assume you mean a cloud based AV), nothing wrong with Avira at all.

Have you run a scan with a anti-malware scanner like malwarebytes?

Can you post a list of your Security programs and Operating System please.

(05-04-2017, 05:33 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  Not entirely sure what you mean by 1 world AV (I assume you mean a cloud based AV), nothing wrong with Avira at all.

Have you run a scan with a anti-malware scanner like malwarebytes?

Can you post a list of your Security programs and Operating System please.

My security programs are only (just simple) :
1. Avira v15.0.24.146 (updated database), I don't know whether cloud based AV or not
2. SmadAV v11.3.5 PRO (updated database)
3. Bundpil Detector v1-2017

And my OS is Windows 7 SP1 UE x64

I also have other AVs like MSE, Hitman, ESET, Avast, Bit Defender, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware; but I think my PC will run very slow if more than 2 AVs.

I would run a test by completely disabling each security system one at a time to see if one of them is causing the hanging.

As for the other AVs are they running MSE etc..?

(05-04-2017, 05:55 PM)Ma Wrote:  I also have other AVs like MSE, Hitman, ESET, Avast, Bit Defender, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware; but I think my PC will run very slow if more than 2 AVs.

You should only run 1 anti Virus with real time protection. Running more than one can cause issues like freezing. Ideally you want to be running 1 anti virus and 1 anti malware. You can do stand alone scans however with multiple AV's. I would temporarily pause or uninstall your AV's just for testing and see if the freezing continues.
Tim's Computer Repair (TCR) 
1503 Kings Way, Savannah, GA 31406, US
912-220-0765
https://www.TimsComputerFix.net 

Like Tim said, just one real-time antivirus is all that you should have, Ma'ruf. Antiviruses these days are actually designed to protect from all kinds of malware

It's just that antivirus software were initially designed to protect from viruses alone and that term has stuck ever since

Ma'ruf, I would like you to test the health of that external drive with a software called CrystalDiskInfo, and let us know what it says

https://www.howtogeek.com/134735/how-to-see-if-your-hard-drive-is-dying/

(05-04-2017, 07:44 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  I would run a test by completely disabling each security system one at a time to see if one of them is causing the hanging.

As for the other AVs are they running MSE etc..?

Hi GuiltySpark,

Thanks for your care and attention and also other friends for my problem

Only Avira, SmadAV, and Budnpil Detector have been running in my PC. Others not.

(05-05-2017, 01:14 PM)Timster Wrote:  
(05-04-2017, 05:55 PM)Ma Wrote:  I also have other AVs like MSE, Hitman, ESET, Avast, Bit Defender, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware; but I think my PC will run very slow if more than 2 AVs.

You should only run 1 anti Virus with real time protection. Running more than one can cause issues like freezing. Ideally you want to be running 1 anti virus and 1 anti malware. You can do stand alone scans however with multiple AV's. I would temporarily pause or uninstall your AV's just for testing and see if the freezing continues.

Hi Timster,

Greetings from me for you all ....

Thanks for your nice suggestion. As we know and be aware that every AV centainly has advantages and deficiency each other. Ideally they must support and complete each other, not mutually destructive and dropping. Maybe Avira doesn't have what SmadAV has or vice versa. It's one of my reasons why I use Avira AV as the first layer and SmadAV/Budnpil as the second layer to protect my PC from security threats.

(05-05-2017, 01:59 PM)Partha Wrote:  Like Tim said, just one real-time antivirus is all that you should have, Ma'ruf. Antiviruses these days are actually designed to protect from all kinds of malware

It's just that antivirus software were initially designed to protect from viruses alone and that term has stuck ever since

Hi Partha,

Thanks a lot for your info and explenation.

(05-05-2017, 04:31 PM)Partha Wrote:  Ma'ruf, I would like you to test the health of that external drive with a software called CrystalDiskInfo, and let us know what it says

https://www.howtogeek.com/134735/how-to-see-if-your-hard-drive-is-dying/

Hi Partha,

Here is it's ss.