Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I received a page file error while using 2nd hd as my only page file
Question 
I removed my page file from my main drive and place it on a second hard drive which seemed to be working great but then i received a page file error. So i checked my bios and the 2nd hard drive is being read and im able to use it but i did notice the hard drive isnt listed in the bootable section.

Notes: both hd are mechanical and are sata. The 2nd hard drive was fully formatted as an ntfs

https://speccy.piriform.com/results/lx0v4wW0JjQhPGVGvarxTvE

Well it's showing in speccy so I don't think it's a major issue, possibly just a BIOS bug. Try setting you POST delay to 5secs and see if it picks it up.

The page file error happened because for some reason windows didnt notice the page file on the seperate hard drive but notices my main drive had the page file disabled. Is it possible to just have the page file on a seperate hard drive? Or is it still possible that the delay is responsible?

(06-24-2017, 08:51 PM)smirk24 Wrote:  The page file error happened because for some reason windows didnt notice the page file on the seperate hard drive but notices my main drive had the page file disabled. Is it possible to just have the page file on a seperate hard drive? Or is it still possible that the delay is responsible?

An error could also be from the controller that the disk is connected to, or the performance of the disk that you're putting pagefile.sys on. Moving pagefile.sys to another local disk is always a good thing, but sometimes hardware doesn't like it.

You're never going to get an answer about pagefile.sys that's definite or that all agree upon "Unless you ask Bill or Russinovich" Big Grin
L.S. Computer Systems
807 East Broadway
Hopewell, VA. 23860, USA
+1 (804) 715-8185
https://www.lscomputersystems.com

Does it matter what type of sata cable is used?
(The sata cable that plugs in from the sata hard drive to the motherboard)

Quote:Is it possible to just have the page file on a seperate hard drive? 
Yes, many people do.

Quote:Does it matter what type of sata cable is used?

(The sata cable that plugs in from the sata hard drive to the motherboard)
Yes and no. Sata is Sata, the connections are the same and therefore backwards compatible however, where you can run into trouble confusion is with the speed of the cables for example;

Sata 3 = 6Gb/s (note this is Gigabits not GigaBytes)

Sata 2 = 3Gb/s

Sata 1 = 1.5Gb/s 

If you're plugging in a Sata 3 cable to a Sata 2 MOBO port the Sata 3 cable is down tuned to run at Sata 2 speeds. This is the same for all hardware on a computer, the system is only as fast as it's slowest component.