Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My desktop computer won't boot up.
Spark, could you tell me where exactly is he booting from if you are aware?

(07-16-2017, 10:54 AM)Partha Wrote:  Spark, could you tell me where exactly is he booting from if you are aware?

I've been working on the premise that his Desktop PC isn't displaying anything on any monitor. Forget the laptop as that was just a test to rule out the monitor and VGA cables. Forget about boot media as it's irrelevant at this stage, no display is no display regardless of media.

The issue is between PC and monitor.

(07-16-2017, 11:18 AM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  I've been working on the premise that his Desktop PC isn't displaying anything on any monitor.
But we didn't figure that out yet, did we?

maybe somebody confirm this the op said the computer is not booting in his first post

not booting  could mean no power to the system

or

getting power to the system but no display on the monitor  

What is it?

I only could guess its hardware at this point because op said he tested both monitors on the nonbooting PC

after reading 6 pages sorry I am just confused

(07-16-2017, 11:53 AM)Compton Wrote:  maybe somebody confirm this the op said the computer is not booting in his first post

not booting  could mean no power to the system

or

getting power to the system but no display on the monitor  

What is it?

I only could guess its hardware at this point because op said he tested both monitors on the nonbooting PC

after reading 6 pages sorry I am just confused

You're not alone. But he did say in one post that he gets green light on monitor and a activity light on PC so power is going through.

ok thanks for clarifying that GS but one have to wonder when he said green light on the monitor and activity

if he is speaking of the nonbooting PC or his regular PC or laptop

I think at this point we need to take out any other laptop or PC and just focus on the nonbooting PC

I read one of BigJerr's messages where he says that he had connected the vga with his laptop's display and that nothing worked

If the vga was connected to the  desktop's mobo while testing this, that leads to three possibilities as I discussed before

(07-16-2017, 12:03 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  But he did say in one post that he gets green light on monitor and a activity light on PC so power is going through.
Maybe there are power surges. It can't really rule out an issue with the power supply

[quote pid='24119' dateline='1500146321']
I think we are making this   way more complex than it should be. We can deduce three possibilities based on the information we have

Possibility 1. Problem with the desktop motherboard or with the removable components installed on it

Possibility 2. Problem with the power supply unit

Possibility 3. Problem with the vga cable

[/quote]

I am going to make this really easy its

option 1

or

option 2

when Partha say  removable components installed on motherboard means
  • CPU
  • Memory
  • video card

if you have that install on the motherboard

I did say that he should start with the power supply

but some how  this thread jumps all over the place

Interestingly, BigJerr also wrote that there was no problem with the vga because apparently, it worked with his laptop.

So what I don't understand is  which motherboard was the vga connected to when it was tested..

@ BigJerr You have a desktop computer you just received that is a few years old. You state that when you press the power button the desktop powers on but the monitor (display) does absolutely nothing. This is the main problem you are having. Is what I just stated correct?
Tim's Computer Repair (TCR) 
1503 Kings Way, Savannah, GA 31406, US
912-220-0765
https://www.TimsComputerFix.net