Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I tried dual boot, but it went wrong - Win7 / Win10 - and HDD "problem".
Hi Dear Britec.
I have long history with problems on both Win7 and Win10, so I got idea - I should try dual boot, just to see how it would work.
I have 2 HDDs of 1TB, one is in strange "format type" so I can only install Win7 on it. And other is also strange "format type", so only Win10 can be installed on it. They are both formated on that strange way.
Anyway ... I was reinstalling my new Win10 yesterday, without any involving of Win7 into it. First thing I noticed way 2 "unlocated space" stuff. I had 3 particions with 333.3 GB each, and I had two unlocated space stuff with 333.3 and 666.6 GB. I just couldn't bring them together. So I thought, ok .. I will just reinstall Win10 on 333.3 partition, and I will leave 666.6 in one partition without changing anything. After instaling windows ... I got into menu and I got two Win10 copies on one HDD. It said: "Win10" and "Win10 on Vol 6". After that. I tried to install Win7 on other 1TB HDD, with full formating of other 1TB HDD. And still, same problem, I couldn't put 2 unlocated space stuff into 1. And I still couldn't get into Win7 on menu, even if it's on seperate HDD.
After that, I did again, try to install Win10, I did format everything, unlocated space stuff did stay, still couldn't put it into one. I deleted other Win10 via MSconfig stuff. And here I am.
I would love to have dual boot PC with Win10 and 7. What's my next move? Is there any way to format my two 1TB HDD to be empty, and get them as dual boot pc? What should I do next?
Btw. your dual boot video on your YT channel is pretty cool. You should keep doing that! Wink
Tnx, Jarrus.

ok think I got what you are trying to do here

you are installing windows 7 on A hard drive then on B hard drive installing windows 10

then what you are trying to do bring them together as a dual boot? correct

Yes, I have two HDDs, both of 1TB. They are Toshiba P300 and "normal no name" Toshiba. I do have Win10 on P300, and nameless Toshiba is empty. But I did f***ed up with P300 one, and somehow I got two Win10 copies on P300. And when I tried to install Win7 on nameless one, I did get error code, and it won't let me in. And when I did try to install Win10 again on P300, I formated all 3 partitions of 333.3 gb each, but I got two unlocated space  with 666.6 and 333.3, instead of one with 999.9. And I can't solved that issue with 2 unlocated spaces in both instalations of Windows.. It just won't let me to put them together. I hope I explained it well.

EDIT:

https://oi67.tinypic.com/152iy2q.jpg

I meant on this when I said that HDDs are formated strange. Big Grin
I would love to erase both HDDs full. Get only two partitions of 999.9 both. Install on one HDD Win10, and other Win7.
Is there any tool which will help me create that, without doing stuff in windows 10 setup.
I would love to get that. So I can install clean Win10 on one, and Win7 on other. Wink
Tnx.

ok let's take this one step at a time

let's do one hard drive at a time Unplug  B hard drive from the computer

boot a Windows 10 installation flash drive

select delete on every partition then what should happen is that you should have one big unallocated space

do that then report back if you can post photos that would be great

So: disconect Win7 drive, leave just P300 with Win10 .... ok. But what if it says: dislocated space 333.3 and 666.6 instead of 999.9? What then?

(10-16-2017, 06:02 PM)Jarrus Wrote:  So: disconect Win7 drive, leave just P300 with Win10 .... ok. But what if it says: dislocated space 333.3 and 666.6 instead of 999.9? What then?
It won't because you would end up deleting the other partitions on the  disk, which would leave you with one partition with unallocated  space

It is possible to have 2 hard drives or 2 solid state drives plugged into the motherboard and direct the os install to a specific drive partition as long as the storage space at least meats the minimum requierments of both os's. Usually if you have a 64bit version of windows 10 you usually would have the uefi option selected in the bios by default instead of the legacy bios used in windows 7 and lower. So with your situation you might need to go into your bios and see if you can have legacy and uefi both turned on/enabled and if not youll need to make sure uefi is disabled in the bios so that both ( in this situation windows 7 and windows 10) os's have the same legacy version of the bios.