3 100.00%
Total 3 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anti-miner
Star 
Hello here,

what is best choice anti-miner for mozila. I have Debian on my laptop and when i open websites i want to be safe from coin miner scripts.

Thanks in advanced.

No Script can perform that, however, if you're using Debian why not just add a block to the hosts file?

(11-08-2017, 02:48 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  No Script can perform that, however, if you're using Debian why not just add a block to the hosts file?

Thanks for replay. How to perfom it? Can u help me?

(11-09-2017, 06:22 AM)Partha Wrote:  
(11-07-2017, 12:23 PM)IONx64 Wrote:  Hello here,

what is best choice anti-miner for mozila. I have Debian on my laptop and when i open websites i want to be safe from coin miner scripts.

Thanks in advanced.

If you are referring to  bitcoin mining, be advised that your laptop wouldn't be used for mining without your input. It requires a legit program to run the process

Really? So u mean i am safe? And did not want any add ons?

(11-09-2017, 06:46 AM)IONx64 Wrote:  Really? So u mean i am safe? And did not want any add ons?
Linux is  anyways safe and besides, I am pretty sure it would require  a much more powerful software than just a browser add-on to execute the mining script/code

(11-09-2017, 06:46 AM)IONx64 Wrote:  
(11-08-2017, 02:48 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  No Script can perform that, however, if you're using Debian why not just add a block to the hosts file?

Thanks for replay. How to perfom it? Can u help me?

(11-09-2017, 06:22 AM)Partha Wrote:  
(11-07-2017, 12:23 PM)IONx64 Wrote:  Hello here,

Thanks in advanced.

If you are referring to  bitcoin mining, be advised that your laptop wouldn't be used for mining without your input. It requires a legit program to run the process

Really? So u mean i am safe? And did not want any add ons?

If you wish to use the hosts file then you would have to edit it yourself;

Quote:sudo "your text editor here" /etc/hosts

So if you use Leafpad as your text editor then you would type;

Quote:sudo leafpad /etc/hosts

This should be enough to access the hosts file but if not you may also / instead of, have to type;

sudo leafpad /private/etc/hosts

Then add the domains IP address, for example;

Quote:0.0.0.0 coin-hive.com

This will block all that are hosted by coin-hive, you would need to add others as and when you find them.

The chances are you won't be hit by it unless you're going to infected sites.

As cryptocurrency can often be browser based (JavaScript) a simple add-on like NoScript could stop it, however, it may break functionality on other sites so be aware of that if you can't sign in to a website. ( you can make exceptions within NoScript for certain sites but you would have to play with it to find out ).

Just to add to what Spark said, you could also use  this extension called Adblock Plus which can stop  such unwanted scripts from integrating  with browsers

https://venturebeat.com/2017/09/21/adblock-plus-can-now-protect-your-computer-from-being-hijacked-to-mine-cryptocurrency/

Adblock Plus used to be great untill they were found to be selling users data to advertisers.

(11-10-2017, 01:20 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  Adblock Plus used to be great untill they were found to be selling users data to advertisers.

Edit: With all this data collection going on and turning our information into a commodity, It makes sense to feel like we should get a kickback fee from ISP's or a tax deduction.
L.S. Computer Systems
807 East Broadway
Hopewell, VA. 23860, USA
+1 (804) 715-8185
https://www.lscomputersystems.com

I was taught that, viruses need to EXECUTE in order to RUN - we had a TON of attachments and strange extensions (*.vbs for one) and people would be sending this to our LINUX accounts email addresses. We would get the attachment, and we would be OK because we were on a LINUX system, and 90% of the stuff at the time was set up to attack windows - This means that you were safe, because you had to DOWNLOAD the attachment, and then RUN it to get infected - As long as the script is not saved and then executed, you were OK.

Nowadays, you cant make assumptions like this, because even MACS get viruses - However, if done right, your Linux machine can be safer then any windows box - You just need to know what the heck you are looking for, and you cant just download any old attachments - this is how 90% of viruses get to you - moat of the mail I use would be hosted by Linux based mail systems if I had my way, because of the fact that if viruses cant RUN they cant infect.

Of course, this comes from 24 years of active experience in the Linux Environment, and after seeing what some people have done with a PC that simply got something downloaded from an attachment - I've seen a dos based computer system get zapped, and turned into a set of ASCII characters - from a virus that someone had on a FLOPPY - which is why we had a scan station in the computer lab, and each disk was scanned and if necessary, disinfected before it even was ALLOWED to be placed into our machines.

Whatever you are doing: BE CAREFUL: You can be infected in SECONDS, and sometimes NOT know it ;(

Brian B.
Brian S. Baker
Linux Enthusiast /Computer Consultant At Large/ "The Wizkid"
System Admin: buddy-baker.us
buddy-baker.us

Never assume that a Linux Machine is free from a virus or Malware... There is always a possibility that someone could click on a link and something get in.
L.S. Computer Systems
807 East Broadway
Hopewell, VA. 23860, USA
+1 (804) 715-8185
https://www.lscomputersystems.com