Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unmountable boot volume. Can't get to c or d drive from windows 10 DVD.
After entering the command:
X:\wmic logicaldisk get deviceid, volumename, description, results are:
Description Device ID Volume Name
Local Fixed Disk C:
Local Fixed Disk D:
Local Fixed Disk E:
Local Fixed Disk F:
Removable Disk G:
Removable Disk H:
Removable Disk I:
Removable Disk J:
CD-ROM Disk K: ESD-ISO
Local Fixed Disk X:
Computer was set up with C drive with D as the partition for Windows files. I sometimes used a Toshiba external drive with a USB connection that was listed as the F Drive . It's not currently connected. I am a total novice so taking this one step at a time it's good. Worried I might make things worse if possible. Thanks

Let's repair the MBR and see if that makes a difference. Please refer to the video that Compton shared in his post. You will need to enter the command  as follows
 bootrec.exe /fixmbr

Please  also try the steps as outlined at https://www.technipages.com/windows-10-fix-unmountable-boot-volume-error

Do I need to back up the files before I run the fixmbr.

nope I would also run

bootrec fixboot

I entered the command "bootrec / fixmbr" . And error came back that read "Data error (cyclic redundancy check). I am using the windows 10 fall creator disk. I hate running chkdsk since I do not have my data backed up. I can try running the steps for exporting the files to back up the registry outlined under Vista video. I assume my windows files are on the D partician. My unease is that I do not understand exactly what the commands are doing so will this apply to windows 10 files and i can't see what files are on D drive.

well a chkdsk will need to be run to fix that error

you should not lose any data by running chkdsk

Used fix boot. Error msg was "The device is not ready."

(11-10-2017, 06:54 PM)Herbal meds Wrote:  Used fix boot. Error msg was "The device is not ready."
Please run the chkdsk as explained on that page; it would just try to fix the problems and your data should be fine

I will run chkdsk. Thank you. I did try "bcdedit /export D:bcd_backup" the error msg was "The store export operation has failed. The system cannot find the file specified." I also use this for Drive C. Same error message. I also tried looking for filename "regbac" and received the same error message.

Do I need to run chkdsk on D since that is where I believe windows files or both this D &C drives?

(11-10-2017, 07:21 PM)Herbal meds Wrote:  I will run chkdsk.  Thank you. I did try "bcdedit /export D:bcd_backup" the error msg was "The store export operation has failed. The system cannot find the file specified." I also use this for Drive C. Same error message. I also tried looking for filename "regbac" and received the same error message.
You're welcome. Just to let you know, the chkdsk process may appear to be stuck at a certain per cent and that is normal; please let it complete

(11-10-2017, 07:21 PM)Herbal meds Wrote:  Do I need to run chkdsk on D since that is where I believe windows files or both this D &C drives?
I am not sure  where exactly Windows is installed and so let's perform the chkdsk on C first and if the issue persists, we will do it on D.