Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unmountable boot volume. Can't get to c or d drive from windows 10 DVD.
(11-11-2017, 05:09 AM)Herbal meds Wrote:  No I really don't want to give up. I just need to know  exact steps to take. But when we buy another computer, my significant other will have a cow if I go mucking about inside "his"  computer. So I best get it right.  
Another possible option would be to get another hard drive to put in this computer, install windows 10 and leave the current drive there to transfer files to new drive.

Yes, that's also an option. You could install a new hard drive, install Windows on it and then back up the files you need from the other drive to some place else

If you wish, you could also install Windows 10 from the DVD on a USB flash drive but it needs to be at least 32 gigs; it will be much cheaper that way

Since you said you just woke up, if it's morning, good morning! When you say another enclosure, what do you mean? And do I need a power connection for the drive as well as the USB connection? I know when I looked at the drive there were two connectors one for the data and one that looked like an electrical connection. If it's short term use can it just sit on the desk long enough to get files moved off of it?

I like your USB with windows installed idea. I will probably have to go to the local repair shop and have them do it since I don't have another way of doing it myself. Would I still need to change the connection for the problematic drive to a SATA to USB connection?

(11-11-2017, 05:18 AM)Herbal meds Wrote:  Since you said you just woke up, if it's morning, good morning!  When you say another enclosure, what do you mean? And do I need a power connection for the drive as well as the USB connection? I know when I looked at the drive there were two connectors one for the data and one that looked like an electrical connection. If it's short term use can it just sit on the desk long enough to get files moved off of it?

It is morning; thanks! I mean a case  where you  could install an internal hard drive like yours  and use that as  an external drive that would connect to the USB port

Refer to the video below

if you ready have the hard drive connected to a next desktop all you need to do

is turn the computer when windows boot up the hard drive show up open explore select computer

the hard drive should show up

But the way I see it, it would be easier as well as cheaper to just get a 32 GB  USB flash drive  and install Windows on it instead

(11-11-2017, 05:18 AM)Herbal meds Wrote:  I like your USB with windows installed idea. I will probably have to go to the local repair shop and have them do it since I don't have another way of doing it myself.

It's not different in any way; just think of the USB flash drive as  another hard drive; all that you need to do is  install Windows from the DVD on the USB drive

(11-11-2017, 05:18 AM)Herbal meds Wrote:  Would I still need to change the connection for the problematic drive to a SATA to USB connection?

No, you don't need to  if you  wish to install Windows on the USB flash drive. Once Windows is installed, we  would be able to  start the pc from the flash drive and see if those problematic  drives are accessible

Wow! That sounds good. I will look at the video for the external hard drive. Also having a working windows 10 USB would be a great option. Thank you so very much. Definitely was depressing thinking I lost so much data and photography. A great relief to have this resolved.Thank you!

(11-11-2017, 05:47 AM)Herbal meds Wrote:  Wow! That sounds good. I will look at the video for the external hard drive. Also having a working windows 10 USB  would be a great option. Thank you so very much. Definitely was depressing thinking I lost so much data and photography. A great relief to have this resolved.Thank you!
You are welcome. I've lost important data and I know how it feels.

Thanks. Your additional comments helped clarify things. Need to get a new larger USB tomorrow. I have an older laptop with windows Vista. I'm hoping I can use it to install windows 10 to the USB. It will be very slow, but that's ok. It wouldn't download Windows 10 because of the browser. Thanks

(11-11-2017, 06:35 AM)Herbal meds Wrote:  Thanks. Your additional comments helped clarify things. Need to get a new larger USB tomorrow. I have an older laptop with windows Vista. I'm hoping I can use it to install windows 10 to the USB. It will be very slow, but that's ok. It wouldn't download Windows 10 because of the browser. Thanks
Just to let you know, you don't need to do this on  the laptop; you could simply connect the USB flash drive to your PC, boot it from the Windows 10 DVD and then install Windows on the flash drive

It would be a lot easier to not use the laptop. When installing, are there any installation choices that you would recommend. I assume there are partitions. Would I have to make a choice on how large they are? Ect? Thanks.