Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unmountable boot volume. Can't get to c or d drive from windows 10 DVD.
ok I am a bit lost here now you are trying to take data from a hard drive

now from what I can understand you have next working desktop

why not just take the hard drive to the working desktop computer connected and pull the data off

why take the long road of installing windows to a extural hard drive ?

then booting windows from the extural hard drive then pulling data off that probrably will be very slow

@Compton
OP pointed out that the other person would not be comfortable in letting his PC to be used

ok what he then could do is to create windows PE flash drive pull the data off that way

you can Gandalf’s Windows 10PE https://windowsmatters.com/2017/10/02/gandalfs-win10pe-x64-redstone-2-build-15063-version-10-01-2017/

britec did a video on it

I think it would be much easy more than installing  windows to a external hard drive

then booting windows from the external hard drive then pulling data off

(11-11-2017, 04:15 PM)Herbal meds Wrote:  It would be a lot easier to not use the laptop. When installing, are there any installation choices that you would recommend. I assume there are partitions. Would I have to make a choice on how large they are? Ect? Thanks.

Yes, the USB flash drive  should  have one partition and this is where we could directly install Windows 10 from the Windows installation DVD media

From the Windows setup environment, you would need to select the option that would ask you to make changes to the drive partitions

I'm glad I asked! Thanks. Right now, I have an old laptop with Vista installed. The only other computer we have now is the desktop with the faulty CD ROM that won't boot. Hoping to get a new computer but I'm not sure when, so I don't have one to put faulty CD-ROM in to pull off the data right now. So in the meantime if I can use the flash drive with windows installed to copy the data I'll just take my time to get it done. And yes he would be very upset if I went mucking around in a brand new computer, as I am a novice. Thanks you guys!

@Compton
Well, OP already has the Windows 10 DVD and so there's no need to download the large ISO file; it would be easier to directly install from the DVD

@Herbal meds
If your desktop's DVD-ROM is faulty as you just wrote, how  were you able to  boot the desktop from the Windows 10 DVD then?

well if the CD ROM faulty create a windows10 PE flash drive would be the best option

at the end of the day, he will choose which way is better for him

don't get me wrong I am not saying your way is bad just giving my suggestion

@Compton
I understand but it doesn't look like the DVD player is faulty because if it was, then the desktop couldn't have booted from it

Installing to a flash drive would be cheaper than buying another hard drive. Especially when needing to buy a new pc. I had tried to download Gandalf's redstone Windows 10 file but my old laptop wouldn't do it. The download was not compatible with the browser on the laptop. When I first started looking for solutions to the hard drive, I had looked at that video online. Trying to download from Gandalf was the first thing I tried to do. I hope that clarifies a bit. sorry for the confusion.

@ Herbal meds
I would appreciate if you could tell us  why you think your DVD player  is faulty. I am curious because you specified initially that  the desktop booted from the DVD