Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unmountable boot volume. Can't get to c or d drive from windows 10 DVD.
(11-11-2017, 06:14 PM)Herbal meds Wrote:  Installing to a flash drive would be cheaper than buying another hard drive. Especially when needing to buy a new pc. I had tried to download Gandalf's redstone Windows 10 file but my old laptop wouldn't do it. The download was not compatible with the browser on the laptop. When I first started looking for solutions to the hard drive, I had looked at that video online. Trying to download from Gandalf was the first thing I tried to do. I hope that clarifies a bit. sorry for the confusion.

well if you are looking run windows 10 from a flash drive full time I can tell it probably would run very slow

what web browser did you use to download the Gandalf PE

Just to let everyone know, the plan is not to run Windows full time from the  flash drive; it is just to be able to start the system and back up the files

Once the backup is done, we would format the problematic drive  and do a clean install of Windows on it

I typed this once and whem i tried to post it, it disappeared. So another version of this may show up again.

Compton, you are correct. The DVD drive is good. It's the hard drive in the desktop that is not booting up. I am sorry I confused you. I apologize, it was my mistake. I was using IE9 in Windows Vista. It would not download Gandalf's fall creator files.

In Brian's Windows 10 installation , he used Rufus to install Windows 10. Do I need Rufus? If not, do I need to format the drive before I add the windows files

so Gandalf's Windows PE is now downloaded?

when you windows Windows 10 installation, files are speaking of the Gandalf's ISO

I'm seriously confused by all this!

If they just want the data from the HDD wouldn't it be easier to use a Linux live disc to copy the data to an external HDD / flash drive?

I agree with you GS but Linux is bit difference the person might not understand to use Linux

that why I recommend the person use Gandalf's Windows PE it probably would be a bit easier to understand

I feel we are making this way more complicated than it actually is. If the DVD player is working, wouldn't it be more convenient to install Windows from the DVD on the flash drive?

Why are we even talking about gandalf's Windows PE which would need to be downloaded or even Linux for that matter when an installation media already exists

ok let's clear it up here

the OP wants to copy data from a hard drive you have 3 recommendation on how to do it

Partha

install windows on a flash drive boot to the flash drive  copy the data

compton

download Gandalf's Windows PE put it on a flash drive boot to Gandalf's Windows PE  copy the data

GuiltySpark

download Linux put it on a flash boot to Linux from the flash drive copy data

Sorry everyone, I have not been able to do anything concerning the computer. Tomorrow.
You all wrote:
Partha
install windows on a flash drive boot to the flash drive copy the data .
Partha, given my nonexistant skill level, I think this is my best option.
Not sure I know all the steps, but if I don't get it installed correctly, I can always format the flash drive and try again.

compton
download Gandalf's Windows PE put it on a flash drive boot to Gandalf's Windows PE copy the data
Compton I can't download anything. FYI: 2 days ago when I visited windowsmatters(WM) site, I got a nasty msg on my phone saying it was going to lock it up if I didn't renew 'something' in 24 hrs. I got off the site, cleaned out my cache and ran a virus,scan to be on the safe side. The same type of thing happened on my old laptop. Urrgh! Also, None of the links wold connect on my phone. This could be because I have no security on WiFi or modem. I don't know enough to know what is ca using the problem. To put it bluntly I feel like an idiot when it comes to computers. Even though I have learned from you all.

GuiltySpark
download Linux put it on a flash boot to Linux from the flash drive copy data
GuiltySpark, I am sorry, but I know nothing about Linux.

Thank you everyone. It's midnite in central Kansas, USA. So I must wait till tomorrow. I did not want you all to think that I just blew you off after all your help. Good nite, or, given the time change, have a good day.

@ Herbal meds
Don't worry. If you're stuck somewhere, feel free to ask