Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
inquiry on modem with built in router
currently i have a modem and a router i bought myself. however, imagine a tangled web of wires going in and out and all over the place in a choking pattern. would a modem with builtin router be beneficial to me? my fave brand is netgear, which is recommended by my isp. is dual band better?

I personally use my own Draytek router with my ISP as the supplied router was very cheap and didn't have the features I wanted. Having the modem integrated into the router will remove the need for the modem and a few wires.
With the new router being dual-band it will give your wireless devices that support the 5GHz band great coverage and speeds. You will also have less congestion using the 5GHz band as there are more channels.
JM IT Services
Mobile PC & Laptop Repair
www.jmitservices.co.uk
We also provide remote support.

if you are getting a good wireless signal and everything is working well

don't fix what is not broken

If you want an end to a web of wires (and possible fire / trip hazard) then yes go for it. You may even find with a web of wires (especially if they are data cables) you're getting interference and therefore down on speeds.

In terms of dual band there are things you need to consider such as :

Devices

Are all your devices 5Ghz compatible? If you regularly transfer data across them and one is not capable of 5Ghz, it will not be seen by other devices nor will it see other devices.

API

Do you get a lot of overlapping interference where you are on the channel you use, if not then it may not be relevant (at least not at this time).

Summary
You should check your devices with the manufacturers handbook / manual (if you have one or can find one, look online etc) to see if your devices are supported, this is critical if you wish to use 5Ghz.
If you just want rid of a potential fire / trip hazard then go with a new router (AIO).

you should see the highway of wires going in and out from modem and router.. but they are under the desk away from anyone tripping over them. since the apt doesnt have too much space, the modem and router are resting under the desk and not on top.