Hi everyone, recently I tried to upgrade a computer with these specs:

Intel - Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor
Gigabyte - GA-H110M-H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Crucial - 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Lite-On - iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer
TP-Link - TL-WN881ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter
Tesla Model: 500TE-BR ATX Switching Power Supply

...From Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 using the Windows media creation tool and using the upgrade now feature on it. I ran into a problem after the Windows 10 tried to run updates during the first boot after the install. It never did load Windows 10 and instead after a couple of power off and power back on's the computer automatically reset back to Windows 7.

My question is this, Instead of using the Windows media creation tool, what I planned to do was upgrade the hard drive to an 850 EVO SSD and install Windows 10 on there using a bootable Windows 10 USB installer and salvaging the 1TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD as a storage/ back up drive. Will it work? Or will I run into more issues? I'm also upgrading the PSU to a Corsair CXM 450 so I have the extra SATA cables to power 2 drives, not just one. I have put all the parts through Pcpartspicker and it does allow me to select Windows 10 with no compatibility issues showing but I'd just like to get some second opinions for a piece of mind.

I'm baffled to why I wasn't able to upgrade using the Windows media creation tool the first time and why it didn't work (Which was a first for me) As I thought any computer running Windows 7 or 8 automatically means windows 10 will run on it too.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Windows 10 Updater/Installer automatically checks for compatibility for Windows 10. If it finds an issue with your hardware that it does not support the upgrade will be halted and you would be prompted that the computer is not compatible with Windows 10. I have witnessed this on a number of occasions trying to upgrade my customers pc from 7 to 10.

I have also experienced times where Windows 10 started the upgrade and was going good for an hour or so just to have the computer revert back to Windows 7. I believe there was some issue or corruption in with the original Windows 7 install. Perhaps outdated drivers? Not sure. There was no explanation as to why the upgrade failed.

I would clone the Windows 7 install you have now then try to install Windows 10 fresh on that computer. If things fail you always have the clone to fall back on.

I would also try updating all of your drivers to see if you can get the upgrade to go through.

Again, you will get prompted if there is a component (ie. processor) not compatible with Windows 10 during the upgrade/Install
Tim's Computer Repair (TCR) 
1503 Kings Way, Savannah, GA 31406, US
912-220-0765
https://www.TimsComputerFix.net