The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 861 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 861 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HP - PAVILION P6-2003W RUNNING WINDOWS 10, 1803 – SHUTDOWN PROBLEM
(Hi Brian; I’m the guy that suggested in the YouTube comments about the watermark on your videos being just a tad oversized a couple of weeks or so ago – thanks for fixing it, it looks much better now!) ?

PC Equipment:
• AMD E2-3200 APU Dual-core Processor w/ Radeon HD Graphics
• 1TB Western Digital WDC WD 10EZEX-08WN4A0 HDD (Primary drive)
• 4TB Seagate Barracuda ST4000DM005-2DP166 HDD (Media-only drive)
• 20” HP 2011x LED Backlit Monitor
• AMD Radeon HD 6450 HDMI Output (AMD Hi-Def Audio Device Sound Card)
• Altec Lansing AVS300 2.1 Computer Speakers (set 3)
• Realtek High Definition Audio
• AnvSoft Virtual Sound Device
• Logitech HD Webcam C270
• HP DVD-RAM GH80N
• Stock Keyboard and Mouse
• Brother DCP L2540DW series Ethernet Printer

Problem:
This is a PC that was originally a Windows 7 system, but I updated it to Windows 10 the very first hour after the new operating system became available (I’m a Windows Insider, so I got a priority download key), and it has been working absolutely wonderfully until about 4 or 5 months ago.

At that time I started noticing that when I tried to shut down the computer normally, using the “Windows Button/Power/Shut down” link, my PC monitor shows Windows going through the normal shutdown sequence, and after it completes, the monitor power indicator light changes color, indicating it has gone into standby, and letting me know indeed that the PC has shut-down. I can also audibly hear the hard-drives shut down; but however, the CPU, Power Supply, and Case Cooling Fans all three continue to run, as well as the power indicator-light on the front of the desktop continues to show power is on, resulting in the only way of shutting off the PC completely being to hold down the power button for about five seconds, then everything turns off. **Note: I never hold down the button to turn off the PC as the main means of powering down; I only do so during normal shut-down, several seconds after I hear the hard-drives turn off.**

(FYI: There is a video on YouTube (not mine) at " https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3uulzhnpgg " that shows exactly what is happening with my PC, except the particular PC on the video has a Windows 7 OS rather than Windows 10.)

Also; sometimes when the power goes off overnight (brief power outage I suppose – but perhaps could be some other problem…)

What I’ve tried:
1) Disabling “Fast Startup” and trying normal shut-down (Windows button…) > no help
2) Disconnecting the 2nd hard-drive (4TB) and trying normal shut-down > no help
3) Disconnecting the AMD sound card and trying normal shut-down > no help
4) Disconnecting the DVD-RW drive and tried normal shut-down > no help
5) Left both of the above disconnected and tried normal shut-down > no help
6) Checking the power supply for blown capacitors > all appear ok, no bulging
7) Trying CHKDSK and SFC commands in an attempt to verify whether it may be a software issue > no help
8) Reinstalling Windows 10, nothing extra installed, and trying normal shut-down > no help
9) I’ve also tried different combinations of USB connections, plugging devices into different slots > no help
10) Called Microsoft to see if they’ve ever encountered this situation, but it led down a dead-end street and they advised I check for a BIOS update from the device manufacturer (HP), but alas > no help
11) Leaving the device off and unplugged for several days > no help.

So, I am at a complete loss from this juncture, and any help you could offer would be very much appreciated. I have used several of your remedi9es and suggestions from other PC issues I have encountered, not just with my and my families’ PCs, but also friends and acquaintances; so I know if there’s any way of rectifying this situation I am encountering, you would be the person to get it done.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,
Michael

Messages In This Thread
HP - PAVILION P6-2003W RUNNING WINDOWS 10, 1803 – SHUTDOWN PROBLEM - donehomr - 08-03-2018, 08:10 PM