Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DISM how to
In the process of trying to run a Win10 repair and it failing I thought I tried everything but read about the DISM tool. So I ran it and the result on the health check said it was repairable. So I ran the restore health command and it failed with something about not being able to find the file(s) it need to do the repair. Now I see the available command :

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:Full Path to install.wim file:<Index>

What do I need to put into the pc as far as the files go? A USB flash drive with the WIN10 install media on it??

Thanks

I just found this so maybe I am good to go...He has Win10 Pro and I will give this a try later today and report back.
Thanks

https://www.wintips.org/how-to-extract-an-install-wim-file-that-contains-several-install-wim-files/

Let us know how this turns out. I just want to make sure you are working with a healthy hard drive before going through these steps. Have you checked the health of the hard drive?
Tim's Computer Repair (TCR) 
1503 Kings Way, Savannah, GA 31406, US
912-220-0765
https://www.TimsComputerFix.net 

Timster,
Yes, the drive is healthy. Samsung 512GB and the Samsung utility says drive is GOOD. So does SFC and SCANDISK. We are taking a short break but still fighting it. the "install.wim" and "install.esd" has caused some confusion and the error we get now at 85.5% of the command below is "the source files could not be found".

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:repairSource\install.wim

I have changed it to:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C\install.wim

and

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C\install.esd

The file I extracted to Drive C according to these instructions (https://www.wintips.org/how-to-extract-an-install-wim-file-that-contains-several-install-wim-files/) extracts "install.esd". We are going to fight it some more but I think I need a new source for the image although we got the one from Microsoft or verify we don't need a ".wim" file as opposed to a ".esd" file. Any tips?
Thanks

(08-25-2018, 01:51 PM)Timster Wrote:  Let us know how this turns out. I just want to make sure you are working with a healthy hard drive before going through these steps. Have you checked the health of the hard drive?

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

(08-26-2018, 01:06 AM)Compton Wrote:  DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

I had already done that. Anyhow I have a new name for DISM...DISMal. Big Grin In the end, it was a corrupt media that we installed from the Microsoft site. So we got a different flash drive and did it again and I was able to convert the install.esd to install.wim and get further. But in the end after figuring out my way past all of the various error messages, the final result was an error message that we could not get past with success after numerous tries. The error message was "The specified buffer contains ill-formed data" but believe me, I tried everything. And we tried a repair install again and it stopped at 42% where it used to get the error "0x8007025D-0x2000C the installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during APPLY_IMAGE operation" on previous attempts. So today we are going to try a clean install. I am doing most all of this through TeamViewer as the pc is in another state. Hopefully this works.
Thanks

Got it fixed. Smile

(08-26-2018, 01:22 PM)hosed-again Wrote:  
(08-26-2018, 01:06 AM)Compton Wrote:  DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

I had already done that. Anyhow I have a new name for DISM...DISMal.  Big Grin In the end, it was a corrupt media that we installed from the Microsoft site. So we got a different flash drive and did it again and I was able to convert the install.esd to install.wim and get further. But in the end after figuring out my way past all of the various error messages, the final result was an error message that we could not get past with success after numerous tries. The error message was "The specified buffer contains ill-formed data" but believe me, I tried everything. And we tried a repair install again and it stopped at 42% where it used to get the error "0x8007025D-0x2000C the installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during APPLY_IMAGE operation" on previous attempts. So today we are going to try a clean install. I am doing most all of this through TeamViewer as the pc is in another state. Hopefully this works.
Thanks

Glad you got working

Problem solved thread closed.
Tim's Computer Repair (TCR) 
1503 Kings Way, Savannah, GA 31406, US
912-220-0765
https://www.TimsComputerFix.net