Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. please
Does anyone know why this message comes on up a laptop? the desktop picture also disappeared? and the start button isn't doing anything when it is clicked on?

this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. please install an app or if one is already installed create an association in the default apps settings page

If the error just popped up randomly, restart the laptop and run sfc /scannow if it lets you

(09-04-2018, 09:20 PM)Partha Wrote:  If the error just popped up randomly, restart the laptop and run sfc /scannow if it lets you

I did try that but it didnt work. I also tried the methods in britecs video about it but those methods didnt work either.

when you click the start button nothing happens, when you click the search noting happens, etc

would the reset this PC but keep all personal files be an option? I tried sfc /scannow but everything came back fine. So i'm a bit lost on what to try next. I'd like to try to not re install to OS as much as possible if I can get this fixed.

Ajaay27, you can reset this PC but keep all personal files but backup all personal files just in case something goes wrong

Try logging with using safe mode If that don't work use way,1

https://www.isumsoft.com/windows-10/create-administrator-account-when-cant-sign-in-windows-10.html#way1

(09-05-2018, 11:33 PM)Compton Wrote:  Try logging with using safe mode  If that don't work use way,1

https://www.isumsoft.com/windows-10/create-administrator-account-when-cant-sign-in-windows-10.html#way1

Thank you I will try those methods today.

I was given more information to what happened. The hard drive was taken out becuase the screen in the laptop was broken. The owner needed files from his laptop so the hard drive was extracted and plugged into another working pc via a sata to usb cable. The pc the hard drive from the laptop was connected to wasn't recognising the drive so the owner opened disk part on his pc and created a drive letter for his laptops harddrive in order for him to gain access to the drive through the pc. Since putting his laptop hard drive back into the laptop he has been left with this problem.

So far we know:

- When ever the file explorer shortcut on the task bar is clicked the error message above appears.
- The start menu won't open.
- The cortana search box doesn't work.
- Firefox files seem to be missing.

Right clicking the start menu still brings up the list of options which do work.

I would check hard drive health status