Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Win 10 File Explorer Cannot connect to iPhone
I have been browsing the threads and haven’t found any related information…

The last time I connected my iPhone to this computer and transferred pictures was in July 2018. Today I connected the iPhone to PC via USB to transfer some pictures. iTunes popped up but the iPhone was not shown in the Win 10 File Explorer. iTunes can communicate with the iPhone and pass information back and forth but I cannot access the photos via Win 10 File Explorer.

I went through some of the usual attempts to fix the problem including
- Rebooted the computer
- Used a different USB Apple lightening cable
- “Updated” (no new drivers found) and then uninstalled Apple Mobile Device USB Drive from Device Manager
- “Updated” (no new drivers found) and then uninstalled MTP USB Device found under Portable Devices in Device Manager
- Uninstalled iTunes and associated drivers
- Reinstalled iTunes
- Made sure Win 10 was up to date with patches and fixes
- Made sure there were no new ASUS drivers

It should be noted that I can plug the same phone and cable into my laptop (Win 10 Pro – 1803) and I can access the photos in the iPhone-DCIM directory. So that rules out many potential iPhone problems.

After all of this what I see now is that MTP USB Device has an exclamation mark!
Device status states:
Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (code 19).

I ran Troubleshoot – Hardware and Devices as explained in Youtube - Britec09 “Fix USB Ports Not Working in Windows 10”
Troubleshoot reported: “MTP USB Device has a driver problem”
So’ I selected it and it ran through the detection process etc and in the end it stated “Troubleshooting couldn’t identify the problem”. Regrettably it didn’t work…

I googled the status message and found fixes that included:
updating/uninstalling/drivers
checking registry for UpperFilters/LowerFilters under a registry entry – they were not present in my case.

I found another potential solution on apple.com at: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7466913
When I tried installing the driver using the method suggested by turingtest and it said I had the latest drivers installed.

I am reluctant to do a system restore until exhausting other potential fixes. There have been several application software updates that would be dialed back or removed by restoring the 2018-08-22 which is why I would like to avoid doing a system restore unless absolutely necessary.
but I looked at the available Restore dates available: There was one for Aug. 22 that had reference to an Apple USB driver.

2018-08-22 Scheduled Checkpoint
Under programs to be deleted I noted:
Apple, Inc. (USB) 2017-05-18 6.0.9999.69 (oem22inf) (driver)

The following version is what would be installed if I restored the 2018-08-22 Restoral Point.
Apple, Inc. (USB) 2017-05-18 6.0.9999.69 (oem26inf) (driver)

So oem22.inf is what is currently installed today (in September) yet oem26.inf is what was installed last month. Is it possible that this is the problem?

Besides what I have tried so far and avoiding the system restore option (for now) does anyone have a fix that will resolve this problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Configurations
Desktop PC – up-to-date MS patches & fixes
Win 10 Pro 64-bit
ver. 1803
build 17134.254

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Bios 3802
Intel Core i7 6700K
32GB RAM
Radeon RX 480 GPU
NVMe & HDD disks

iPhone 6S
iOS 11.4.1
128 GB memory

Uninstalled iTunes using revo uninstall https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

after uninstalling itunes with revo uninstaller then try reinstall itunes again to see if it's working or not

(09-10-2018, 11:42 PM)Ratimus Wrote:  This is a website you may visit that gives complete directions on how one goes about using iCloud Control panel to wirelessly upload smart phone pictures to your computer.
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH23055?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

You can download to your pc the iCloud control panel which is necessary to use the process listed in the provided link. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204283

Please see the website "Support.apple.com"

Typing into the search box will get you close to what it is you are looking for.

As I said these processes are necessary to have the pictures come from your smart phone to your pc.

Don't hesitate to write back if you still can't get your pictures onto your computer.

The last time I connected my iPhone to this computer and transferred pictures was in July 2018.  Today I connected the iPhone to PC via USB to transfer some pictures.  iTunes popped up but the iPhone was not shown in the Win 10 File Explorer.  iTunes can communicate with the iPhone and pass information back and forth but I cannot access the photos via Win 10 File Explorer.

- Rebooted the computer
- “Updated” (no new drivers found) and then uninstalled Apple Mobile Device USB Drive from Device Manager
- “Updated” (no new drivers found) and then uninstalled MTP USB Device found under Portable Devices in Device Manager
- Reinstalled iTunes

It should be noted that I can plug the same phone and cable into my laptop (Win 10 Pro – 1803) and I can access the photos in the iPhone-DCIM directory.  So that rules out many potential iPhone problems.

After all of this what I see now is that MTP USB Device has an exclamation mark!
Device status states:
Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (code 19).

I ran Troubleshoot – Hardware and Devices as explained in Youtube - Britec09 “Fix USB Ports Not Working in Windows 10”
So’ I selected it and it ran through the detection process etc and in the end it stated “Troubleshooting couldn’t identify the problem”.  Regrettably it didn’t work…

checking registry for UpperFilters/LowerFilters under a registry entry – they were not present in my case.

I found another potential solution on apple.com at:  https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7466913
When I tried installing the driver using the method suggested by turingtest and it said I had the latest drivers installed.

I am reluctant to do a system restore until exhausting other potential fixes. There have been several application software updates that would be dialed back or removed by restoring the 2018-08-22 which is why I would like to avoid doing a system restore unless absolutely necessary.
but I looked at the available Restore dates available:  There was one for Aug. 22 that had reference to an Apple USB driver.

Apple, Inc. (USB) 2017-05-18 6.0.9999.69 (oem22inf)  (driver)

The following version is what would be installed if I restored the 2018-08-22 Restoral Point.
Apple, Inc. (USB) 2017-05-18 6.0.9999.69 (oem26inf)  (driver)

So oem22.inf is what is currently installed today (in September) yet oem26.inf is what was installed last month.  Is it possible that this is the problem?

Besides what I have tried so far and avoiding the system restore option (for now) does anyone have a fix that will resolve this problem?

Configurations
Win 10 Pro 64-bit
ver. 1803
build 17134.254

Intel Core i7 6700K
32GB RAM
Radeon RX 480 GPU
NVMe & HDD disks

iPhone 6S
iOS 11.4.1
128 GB memory

Compton & f23948
Thank you for the Revo suggestion. I ran it & cleaned out iTunes and any Apple related apps. I rebooted and tried plugging in the iPhone and I still got the MTB USB Device error under portable devices in Device Manager. I then reinstalled iTunes. As before iTunes connects and interacts with my iPhone normally. - However I still can't see the directory via File explorer.

PhilipMoore1953
Thank you for the alternative to use iCloud to transfer photos. I appreciate your I can move pictures to this computer without using my relatively slow internet connection. I can connect the iPhone to my laptop and then transfer files across the LAN to my PC.

My frustration is that this used to work on my PC and now it doesn't. My goal is to regain the functionality on my PC. It may come down to doing a restore which I was trying to avoid.

Are there any other suggestions out there?

Thanks for your input.

reset file  Associations

(09-11-2018, 03:41 PM)Ratimus Wrote:  Compton & f23948
Thank you for the Revo suggestion. I ran it & cleaned out iTunes and any Apple related apps. I rebooted and tried plugging in the iPhone and I still got the MTB USB Device error under portable devices in Device Manager. I then reinstalled iTunes. As before iTunes connects and interacts with my iPhone normally. - However I still can't see the directory via File explorer.

PhilipMoore1953
Thank you for the alternative to use iCloud to transfer photos. I appreciate your I can move pictures to this computer without using my relatively slow internet connection. I can connect the iPhone to my laptop and then transfer files across the LAN to my PC.

My frustration is that this used to work on my PC and now it doesn't. My goal is to regain the functionality on my PC. It may come down to doing a restore which I was trying to avoid.

Are there any other suggestions out there?

Thanks for your input.

Hi Ratimus

When your iphone will not transfer pictures from the iPhone to the PC many times is the result of the iPhone itself experiencing operating system issues.
If you call Apple support and tell them you need to reinstall the operating system on your iPhone they will walk you through the process. Often as not this resolves the issues of transferring pictures from your iPhone via cable to your PC.
This is the support website in which you may call support for assistance.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232

Good Luck!

(09-11-2018, 02:12 PM)PhilipMoore1953 Wrote:  
(09-10-2018, 11:42 PM)Ratimus Wrote:  This is a website you may visit that gives complete directions on how one goes about using iCloud Control panel to wirelessly upload smart phone pictures to your computer.
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH23055?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

You can download to your pc the iCloud control panel which is necessary to use the process listed in the provided link. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204283

Please see the website "Support.apple.com"

Typing into the search box will get you close to what it is you are looking for.

As I said these processes are necessary to have the pictures come from your smart phone to your pc.

Don't hesitate to write back if you still can't get your pictures onto your computer.

The last time I connected my iPhone to this computer and transferred pictures was in July 2018.  Today I connected the iPhone to PC via USB to transfer some pictures.  iTunes popped up but the iPhone was not shown in the Win 10 File Explorer.  iTunes can communicate with the iPhone and pass information back and forth but I cannot access the photos via Win 10 File Explorer.

- Rebooted the computer
- Reinstalled iTunes

It should be noted that I can plug the same phone and cable into my laptop (Win 10 Pro – 1803) and I can access the photos in the iPhone-DCIM directory.  So that rules out many potential iPhone problems.

Device status states:

So’ I selected it and it ran through the detection process etc and in the end it stated “Troubleshooting couldn’t identify the problem”.  Regrettably it didn’t work…

I found another potential solution on apple.com at:  https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7466913

but I looked at the available Restore dates available:  There was one for Aug. 22 that had reference to an Apple USB driver.

Apple, Inc. (USB) 2017-05-18 6.0.9999.69 (oem22inf)  (driver)

Apple, Inc. (USB) 2017-05-18 6.0.9999.69 (oem26inf)  (driver)

So oem22.inf is what is currently installed today (in September) yet oem26.inf is what was installed last month.  Is it possible that this is the problem?

Configurations
Win 10 Pro 64-bit
ver. 1803
build 17134.254

Intel Core i7 6700K
32GB RAM
Radeon RX 480 GPU
NVMe & HDD disks

iPhone 6S
iOS 11.4.1
128 GB memory

Hi Compton:

Thank for the suggestion.

My problem is not related to file association. File Explorer is working properly and my association with jpg is OK. The problem is I cannot access the file area on my iPhone via USB due to some sort of driver issue. I just cannot "see" my iPhone in explorer and Device Manager is giving me a warning as described earlier.

(09-11-2018, 03:56 PM)Compton Wrote:  reset file  Associations

Hi Ratimus;
When having issues with connecting your iphone to your PC quite often the fix is in restoring your phone device to default settings rather than the PC having operating issues.
If you will go to this website and call Apple Support they will assist you with reinstalling the OS for your phone. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232

They may ask you for compensation decline their suggestion.
Regards,
~Phil

Hi Phil:

I hesitate to think that it is the iPhone given that I can plug it into two other Win 10 Pro computers and the iPhone picture files are fully accessible.

Also I plugged in another iPhone to the PC and got the same result in Device Manager - "MTP USB Device" - Device Status - "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"

Regards, Ratimus