Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Folder permissions problem
Video 
Hello

I have been trying to access a folder to view and change the contents of it, but i'm having some trouble. When I open the folder i'm trying to view the contents of it tells me that the folder is empty, which I'm pretty sure is not empty I just don't have permission to view the contents of it. I have tried going to "view" and turning on hidden folders but that does nothing, and I've tried right-clicking it to open the properties of the folder and adding myself to the list of people who have permissions to read & write to the folder but it still says empty. The folder that I am trying to view is the .Minecraft folder so I can change certain aspects of the game by editing the JSON files but I cannot view what's in the folder. I don't see a folder anywhere else on my computer by that name, except a mods folder but that is not the main game folder and editing this makes no changes to the game.

Below is a YouTube video that I made in the hope that someone would know:

If anybody can tell me how to fix this I would really appreciate any advice you have.

Thanks in advance

John.

Try using the program TakeOwnership and see if you can see the contents.
Tim's Computer Repair (TCR) 
1503 Kings Way, Savannah, GA 31406, US
912-220-0765
https://www.TimsComputerFix.net 

(09-28-2018, 01:29 PM)Timster Wrote:  Try using the program TakeOwnership and see if you can see the contents.

Thanks for the info. I downloaded and tried to use TakeOwnership but it is still telling me that the folder is empty. The .Minecraft file is stored in AppData where it should be, and is the only folder with that name, so the game files must be there. I have had issues in the past with permissions on my computer when I try to save to a folder, it will tell me that I don't have permission to save to this file, and it seems as though although I have done all I can I am still unable to gain proper access. There is another thing that I can try but i'm not sure if this will work. There is a command that can be put into command prompt on windows 10 that will allow the user root access to the computer, but i'll have to do some digging around on YouTube for that because I can't remember what the command is exactly but it's something like wamc or wmac

make sure you select show hidden files and folders

pid='2430' dateline='1418818542']
Perform SFC scan

Click 'Start' > Type cmd in the search field > Right-click the command prompt at the top of the list and select 'Run as Administrator'
Inside the command prompt, type sfc /scannow > Press 'Enter'
4. Reboot and test.

Mount the drive in Linux then you should see the contents in the folder and edit what you need to from there.
Tim's Computer Repair (TCR) 
1503 Kings Way, Savannah, GA 31406, US
912-220-0765
https://www.TimsComputerFix.net 

Hello
So it turns out that I was looking in the wrong folder all along, the correct folder was actually located in packages.
I have made a desktop shortcut of the folder so it's easier to find in the future.

[Image: Mineraft_Folder.jpg]

glad you got it working solved thread closed