Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Serial Key (Licence) to new machine
Windows 10 transfer to new desk top computer.
Hello Brian.. I have a full retail version of windows 10 PRO installed on my curent machine. A new machine is close at hand and I would obviously wish to transfer the licence to the new computer. My two part question is... a) do I need to de-register the licence (key)  before I install the O/S on my new one... If yes... b) How do I go about achieving that please? - Thanking you in advance.

I am not Brian but will try my best answer your question

if it' an OEM key then its lock to that system and you would need to buy a new key

if it's a retail key then you can use on the next system

Thanks Compton... It is as stated, a full retail version and Key... I'm unsure as to whether I have to deactivate my old system before using it on the new one.. I want to avoid issues with Microsoft later on.... Don't want to get into a situation where I can't activate the O/S because Microsoft say its already in use.

yes its best deactivate the key on the old system

make sure you have the key before you deactivate it

then enter key when installing windows 10 on the new system

Thank you Compton... quick response much appreciated.

On the computer you have windows 10 pro on run command prompt as admin and type whats only in the quotes "slmgr/upk" then press enter. Doing so will uninstall the activation and release the key which in return can be used on the other computer.

Thank you smirk24 : That makes life easy for me, greatly appreciated