Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I get Windows Defender running again
(12-12-2018, 03:41 AM)imcanadian Wrote:  Hello smirk24 -- Where do I find the event log in the folder of Tweaking Windows Repair. I see the folder with the name " Logs " but don't see any like this with " event logs ". Can you tell me where to locate this event log.

Thank you,

John

Using your mouse right click on the start menu/windows icon(located usually at the bottom left hand side of your taskbar) and you should see a menu pop up that has event viewer and click on it.

Note: event viewer will have a lot of errors and warnings (even after a clean install of windows) so focus on the software section of event viewer first and look for anything to do with event viewer.

https://www.howtogeek.com/123646/htg-explains-what-the-windows-event-viewer-is-and-how-you-can-use-it/

Sorry for the delay message and thanks for the tip about how to reach event viewer. The event viewer did not show any errors with Windows Defender.

-- John

Compton

I am not sure about setting up new user account as administrator. I know how to get into Accounts but type the name and have to be different and then change the user account to use with new name. Is that correct?

-- John

the reason why I say to create a new user account because of user account may be corrupted

then login to it

Thank you to you for your reply and will do this sometime on the weekend.

John

keep up to date when you create new user to see if issues still appears

Unfortunately I cannot sign in with new user accounts name in UAC. Yes I have followed the video that you provided. Anyway here is the message below:

We couldn't connect to Microsoft family right now, so your family on this device might not be up to date.

I am not sure what is that about? Are Microsoft talking about another member in Microsoft family. I know my spouse is the one too.

Let me know about this.

John

try this fix https://www.kapilarya.com/we-cant-connect-to-microsoft-family-at-the-moment-windows-10

(12-15-2018, 09:25 PM)Compton Wrote:  try this fix https://www.kapilarya.com/we-cant-connect-to-microsoft-family-at-the-moment-windows-10

I have decided not go any further trying to get Windows Defender working again and recently installed third party anti-virus program, Avast. If I decided to go ahead to reinstall the operaitng system of Windows 10. I know it will take so much of my time to back up everything in the main drive with C: then format and reinstall them. Thank you to everyone here in the forum who post the mesages.

John

I am back here again after a few days absence. I decided to try again with Windows Defender and look at message #6 that Compton wrote. I type regsvr32 in CMD with Adminstrator And here are below what I did and found five are missing or corrupted for Windows Defender.

regsvr32 wuaeung.dll -- missing
regsvr32 wucltui.dll -- missing
regsvr32 softpub.dll -- good
regsvr32 wintrust.dll -- good
regsvr32initpki.dll -- missing
regsvr32 wups.dll - good
regsvr32 wuweb.dll -- missing
regsvr32 atl.dll -- missing
regsvr32 mssip32.dll -- good

So yo see the five dll files are missing. I have heard that never download the dll files from online on the Internet. But I would like to know how to get these dll files replaced. Any ideas abot this.

Thank you
John

Here is one example of missing dll file.

RegSvr32

( X ) The module "wuweb.dll" failed to load.

Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it
to check for problems with the binary or department .DLL files.

The specified module could not be found.

So that mean that there are missing DLL Files in Windows Defender which cannot run in Windows 10.

Let me know what can we do to fix the problem?

John